Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

ATV safety Certificate??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mitch,
As an adult of 31 years of age, having just spent $7000.00 on a raptor, you're going to bitch about a 12 dollar permit to ride in your state??? Get a grip man! Sure, I know..."it's the point of paying the gov more cash". Well lemme tell ya....you outta be glad you have the privilage of riding. Others who live in different states would quadrouple a measly 12 dollar fee for a chance to ride within their state limits.

As for the safety training, it is a certificate...not a sticker. If you're required to have one in order to receive your 12 dollar permit, then you'll have to go through the course to get it. We just don't hand em out like a local chop shop. As stated above, ASI has nothing to do with the government. You bought a new machine...why not collect your hundred bucks? That's $25.00 per hour to "sit through our BS course".

Old 10-05-2001, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

FINALLY, someone agrees with me about the BS class! HEHE!

I didn't buy a new Raptor, I think I have to pay for the class plus pay for the sticker or certificate or whatever it is. Isn't it a sticker? A certificate would get kinda dirty! I thought it was something that is displayed on the machine so cops can see it.

The whole point about taking the class and buying the sticker/certificate is that there is always something, some kind of catch in order to do something that you like.

I'll check into the class though! What do I need to look for as far as the class that I need? I'll really be pissed if I take a class that doesn't count, but that would be my luck!

Old 10-06-2001, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Mitch, you could always buy your own land to ride on. Then, you could do anything you like.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2001, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Call ASI's Enrollment Express @ 1 800 887-2887

Old 10-06-2001, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

ones; I already have land to ride on (that's what the Farm is) but that get's boring after a while. Sam Houston get's boring after a while too. I'm just looking for other places to ride so that I'm not always stuck in the same place.

There's not enough places to ride though, I'm getting to the point of selling the Raptor. I'm thinking of going back to street bikes, many more places to ride.

Old 10-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello fellow Instructors
So who wants to tell mitchdb about the B/S class with MSF. I don't think he'll believe you. It is all about the gov and how they want to climb in his pocket. He should wake up and be glad he still is able to choose where he rides. TREAD Lightly has no meaning to him he will do what he wants & ruin it for the rest of us that enjoy the sport. Just had to add my $.02

Old 10-08-2001, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

Yall sure are cocky! Don't get so defensive just because some people don't agree with you. I'm sure not out to mess up any land whatsoever! I just think it's BS because I have to take a BS class just to ride in certain areas. If you've got a problem with it, well, it's your problem!

Old 10-08-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Here is my 2 cents on the subject (not that enough money has not been 'donated' already)...

I am signed up to attend an ASI safety class on the 21st. The cost to me is nothing, because I am a first time buyer of a new ATV. They are even sending me $100 to attend. I am allowed to bring two other adults to attend as well. I've been riding about two months now and am pretty confident in my abilities on the machine. I am attending the course anyway because I am also certain there are things I DON'T know and I'd hate to get myself into (more) trouble do to my own ignorance.

I am a little frustrated because I bought my son a Polaris Sportsman 90 (new) and would have to PAY ($70) for him to attend this class because Polaris does not participate in these courses and instead offer their own. Unfortunately, the dealer I bought it from does NOT offer training. "We can set up some cones in the parking lot," was what I was told when I asked about it. I plan on bringing him and his ATV with to my training anyway. At a minimum, he can watch me take it and learn by watching. At a maximum, I will pay the money there and let him take it too.

As a parent who enjoys sharing his hobby with his children, I am very glad that they offer these training courses. I would personally feel a LOT better if every guy on an ATV coming the opposite way has done all he can to insure he is riding as safely as possible. Unfortunately, I fear there are allready enough idiots who THINK they know everything out there on the trails so I try to instruct my son to ride as safely as possible and not depend on the other drivers to do the right thing. I only wish the manufacturers would take a hint from the auto industry and realize that lights on a kid's quad not only make sense, but should be REQUIRED. So should a training course.

Do you ever plan on taking your daughter on the trail, Mitch? If so, wouldn't you feel a little better knowing all the riders out there were required to take a safety course even if it 'inconvenienced' you for 4 measly hours? Can't you spare 4 tiny hours out of the 657,000 you will have in your lifetime (assumes a 75 year life expectancy) to take a course that may save your life or someone elses?