Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Final day of season at Wayne was GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 12:11 AM
BK
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realised this week that Saturday was the last day we could ride at Wayne Natl Forest for the year. So I called my brother and we agreed we had to go. We were a little concerned with the conditions since they had major storms and 4" of rain but what's a little mud? We arrived Sat. AM and the predicted sunny 54 degrees never showed up so we layered the clothes we had with us under rain gear hoping to keep warm and fairly dry. We rode the New Straightsville loop to get warmed up and then headed down the Main Corridor. We were very shocked to see the condition of the trails. They were GREAT! The major ruts and rocks had been taken out of the more treachorous hills and there were signs of trail grooming all along the way. A major water hole had a new gravel road thru the middle and several rutted sections were smooth and fast. Unfotuneately the storms had left a lot of downed trees across the trail in places so you had to keep your eyes well ahead. Even with that we made it to the parking area at the concession stand in record time. We continued on and found the grooming was just as evident on that section of trail. We had our best ride of the year. There were very few people out and that combined with the grooming allowed us to sustain a much higher speed. My thanks to the crew who worked on the trails, they did a good job. Now I can't wait for them to open again next year. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2001, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

BK--- I AM JEALOUS!!!! I couldn't get away. The "boss" was watching my every move on Sat.! Yep, those trails are groomed to the point of (almost) being boring! Guess I got TOO used to all the nasty little holes and hills!
I will ride in the area this winter, having befriended a local that knows some "not so legal" trails that inter-connect with WNF trails. Should be interesting!
Also would like to go to H/M this winter, IF the weather stays mild. I WOULD NOT want to be caught in those mtns. in a blizzard!!!!!!!!! You interested??????

Old 12-18-2001, 12:19 PM
BK
Pro Rider

We are definitely planning on a M H trip in the near future. It will of course depend on weather and such but will happen. The somewhat slimy conditions on Sat. at Wayne made up for the now easy hills. It was strange being able to fly up the hills you normally had to negotiate more slowly. I'll post something when we are planning the trip. We will go down on a Friday after work, ride all day on Sat. and part of the day on Sunday when we go.