Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley Wi, Memorial Day ATV Jamboree

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 01:08 AM
Mac
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Floodrunner and quadrunner I 'am for it. My son works for a sign shop and on the side does vinyl graphics on vehicles. For a sign all I can think of for now is the ATV connection graphic at the top of this web site. Hoosier boy, I orignally from Indiana my ma lives in Rockville Ind. I wasa born in Columbus Ind. 48 years ago. Still don't how to talk yooper yet up here In UPPER MICHIGAN. I still looking for a place to stay or I will be tenting anywhere and wash in the creek I guess pending how wet and cold memorial day gets to be!
Dave 97 BIG BEAR SE 4X4

Old 03-22-2000, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I have two reasons for making this post. First, just hoping to breathe a little fresh life into this topic so it doesn’t disappear before others can see it. Second, for those of you who’ve ridden the Rally before and count on the Hideaway Tavern in Iron Belt for refueling, DON’T!! We were there last weekend and the DNR has shut down their pumps. Terry still works there a couple nights a week but has sold the place to someone else. She made it sound like it wasn’t very likely they’d be selling gas again. If I find out differently between now and the Rally I’ll post it here.

This leaves only the Hurley area, Mercer, Island Lake and the Frontier Bar in Cedar for sources of fuel. Any who knows this area will recognize these points are few and far between and none are close to the best riding trails. I suggest whoever is planning to go packs enough gas for their daily ride to go 100 miles without depending on finding fuel on the trail.

Too bad, Iron Belt wasn’t the most convenient place to buy gas but it sure was a lot closer to the trail than anywhere else. I have a bad feeling there will be many people attending the Rally who have counted on Iron Belt for fuel in past years and will be again this year. If something doesn’t change there’ll be a lot of towing and walking going on.

Old 03-23-2000, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. My partner and I were just discussing the need for extra fuel. Being unfamiliar with the area, do you have any other suggestions for 'required' items? I know weather conditions dictate comfort. My list keeps growing, but my ride doesn't.
BTW, that picture of your MAX going over the falls looks a little fishy to me. I'd gladly give you $50 to see you do it again. lol

Brian

Old 03-23-2000, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

I’d like to oblige but we don’t ride our Max up there any more, not even for $50 (hehehe). Actually, you’ll have to talk to my wife about that. She’s the one sitting in the Max in that shot and if you really look you’ll notice she’s sitting in the back seat. Yup, it’s a fake. Actually both of those are. But the falls in the picture is very real and it’s one of our favorite places in Iron County. You won’t find it on any of the trail maps though.

As far as what to bring, I can’t stress being prepared for the “dust factor” enough. There are times we have almost a ¼ mile between riders because it’s so thick and we clean out our pre-filters once or twice a day so our machines run right. We’re talkin’ serious dust. Bandanas or dust masks are a necessity in my opinion. If it’s a rainy weekend we won’t need ‘em but if it isn’t you’ll be dyin’ without some kind of protection. The last two rallies have been like that. In fact, the DNR came close to canceling each of them due to the fire hazard from the dryness. On the other hand if it’s a very wet spring up there, bringing hip boots along wouldn’t be a bad idea. I don’t mean packing them on your quad, I mean wearing them as all-day footwear. Actually needing them would be doubtful but if you own them I’d say pack ‘em so you have the option.

Two-way radios (ours are Motorola Talk-Abouts) can be convenient when a group has to spread out. Our two main rules of the trail are every rider is responsible for the rider behind them and no one makes a turn off what’s obviously the main trail unless the rider behind is aware of it. Likewise it’s also the responsibility of the “behind” riders to inform whoever is in front of them if they want to stray from the group. These simple rules avoid the many hours and miles of backtracking necessary to find lost or strayed riders. In times of heavy dust when riders are so spread out the two-way radios can be a big help.

Other than enough fuel to make the ‘round trip and dust protection, bring whatever safety gear and spare parts/tools you’d normally bring on an extended day-long outing. I don’t often bring a cell phone as a safety measure unless we’re winter riding or camping but I’ll pack one during the rally. Our personal preference is not relying on the taverns for food or drink so we’ll be packing plenty of both each day. After years of “roughing it” on the trails, these days we’re more into making our riding experience as comfortable as possible. That means having rain gear in case it rains and warm clothes for cool days and night riding. We even bring small camp stools that fold up to nothing and a boom-box for cranking up tunes by the fire. But that’s us, most don’t ride that “heavy.”

It’s about that time of year when we’re getting back into our every-other weekend riding schedule up there so when it gets closer to the rally I’ll post any conditions of concern here or anyone can email me personally with specific questions.

Old 03-23-2000, 10:41 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Sicker up date. I was wondering how mant of you would want stickers?? Thor,flipper and anyone actually gonna make it up to the Hurley area during the memorial weekend 26 thru 29 of May??
Mac Big Bear SE 4X4

Old 03-23-2000, 10:47 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Since gas may be a burden for long day rides I wonder how the poker runs will function?????

Mac Big Bear 4X4

Old 03-23-2000, 07:09 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry, I won't be making it up there for the rally, I'm limited to vacation time until June. I'll be making my yearly ride up there the last 2 weeks in July. I'm not much into riding with lots of people. I enjoy riding alone or with a very small group.

Steve
98 Grizzly

Old 03-24-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, Odin and JigginJack (from Norway) and I will be there with bells on.

There is a ride in your area on 4/8/00 from Carney to Faithorn I have heard. Contact Jobrion@up.net for details.

Old 03-24-2000, 03:50 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Flippr, Sorry to hear that I guess so far all I see myself as the only yamaha machine meeting up with floodrunner.
i'll see about the 4-8-00 ride. I'll e-email.

Mac

Old 03-24-2000, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

me and my friend are probally going to meet up with floodrunner...I will be on a 99sp500...and my friend on a 96 magnum 425...we are going to stay in hurley....this is all a little unsure yet...but the only hold back is...my friends dad isnt sure if he wants his son to go because he thinks it gunna be a bunch of guys getting drunk...well maybe i will see some of ya on the trails....maybe not ;-}

Quick Reply: Hurley Wi, Memorial Day ATV Jamboree