Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Minnesota Riders of ATVS are under attack.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen we are under siege.

Star Tribune Attacks ATVs

Old 02-24-2002, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Ya, soon you won't be able to take a **** in the woods because it is eroding an ant hill!

I thought this is why we pay for registration? We also pay tax on gas for the machines and tax on the machines themselves. What the h#ll are they doing with that money. They should have someone who makes these trails and maintains them. I have too much to say and too much anger to post right now.

If they try to ban me from riding to my deer stand or to my cabin, I am outta here. This state is horrible for banning things that other states can get away with. RRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I bet they wanna keep it nice so the YUPPIES can take a d@mn nature walk! Boy am I glad I have some private land and hope to get more in the future.

Old 02-24-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, all,

I just got done reading this "article" (part one of two,imagine what the second will be like) What a load of $#it !!!! They are portraying all ATVs as ground ripping lawless monsters,giving no other side to their opinion.Of course, look where it is printed,the Strib is well known for their bleeding heart approach to all issues,they take one side and blast away with little knowledge of exactly what they are critcizing. I'm sure if someone from the ATVAM tried to get front page coverage like this,they would be laughed off or told to get bent. This,more than any other reason,is why it is important to join an atv club,write to the DNR,your congressman,heck, send a letter to Jesse, he's no big fan of the Star Tribune anyway. We CAN NOT sit back and let the green ***** do this blatant attacking with no response. I am all for preserving state parks for camping and picnics, but Minnesota is so far behind other states in trail access and amount of trails, it is time the money we spend go for something worthwhile,like more development of legal trail systems. I am all for cracking down on the buttheads ripping up private or non-trail land and giving all us law abiding riders a black eye. I want my son to be able to enjoy riding all his life,as I have,but if it is left to the enviro-nuts,we will have NOTHING !!!!. Lets all start emailing the Tribune to see if they will give us equal print time,and see what happens.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2002, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

After reading the paper I am very pissed off. If you think about it a horse does alot of damage to the ground?????? I think we should fight back, dont know how but we should.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Perhaps you fellows will have better luck posting at the Star Tribune ATV chat site attached to the article. I tried but the Star Tribune must have recognized my ATV "Cookies" and would not let me in.

I think their responses are rigged as is their poll of 2/6. This is the most biased anti gasoline motorized vehicle article which I have seen in a long time.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:19 AM

There are many half truths, lies, and one sidedness to the article. The part that cracks me up is that it says there were 148,00 atv's registered in "01", and 830,000 Minnesotans have ridden an ATV at one time or other (with 1/3 riding regularly ((aprox. 275,000)) Then they have a graph that shows citations written by the DNR....32 in "00" and 17 in "01" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img].........sounds like a huge problem to me.

They talk about the "Sink Hole" on the Red Top trail. They wine that the ATVs are mudding in an area that was specifically made for that purpose!?!? Would they prefer that the 80 or so people go off into the forest and find their own area for mudding? I personally am looking forward to going to the Red Top on April 6th with a bunch of people that I have never met and enjoy the recreation of "MY" choice in an area designated to do so.

I'm hoping that the article has, in the words of General Yamamoto, "Woken a sleeping dragon" and the sleeping dragon are the responsible people who enjoy and live the sport of riding All Terrain Vehicles.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

i agree i think this is bull sh;t horses sh;t all over and no one cleans that up what about that run off and they say that all the gas and oil we leak is hurting fishin ares how about 1 gallon of sh;t per day per horse that is gonna kill fish

let me no wut yall are doin to stop this

Old 02-25-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

This is how its starts, take it from me over in pennsylvania they would rather have you not ride at all than "destroy" an abandoned strip mine that is 2 years from being a landfill for NY garbage.. what a crock. hypocrits

fight "smart" now or you will have as many laws as us here in pennsylvania.

Old 02-25-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

it doesn't surprise me that this came out now that the MNDNR is appealing the case in court to help sway opinions about ATV's in MN. None of this article was from the columnist. It is from the MRR trying to wager some support from the public to help close the lands down. There was very little emphasis on what the benefits of having these trails are as compared to the slamming that went on in the article. Nothing more than politically motivated. I don't know about any one else, but I'm going to enjoy my day on April 6th at Red Top.

Old 02-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I agree it is a load of crap and it IS for that very reason.(MRR) I wonder why the newspaper doesnt show the path of destruction left behind by loggers who are harvesting wood products to make their newsprint. Dont get me wrong. It is the loggers livelihood and I have nothing against them at all harvesting a renewable recource. But the newspaper does not care or want to show how newsprint is obtained. Heck, most of my trail riding is on those very trails left behind by loggers while getting wood for pulp and also on trails designed by the forest service to access those areas in the event on fire. What I am saying is that the impact of an ATV riding on one of these trails is undiscernable compared to a skidder! I ride the same areas often and in the spring when we get there it is almost impossible to tell if anyone had been there in the recent past.
What about all the damage done to lakes and streams by cabin owners? (Myself included) It is MONUMENTAL in comparison to what ATVs do to cause runoff and erosion into lakes and streams. People trying to "improve" their shoreline and yards do millions of times more damage to our lakes than 1000 times more 4 wheelers ever could.
Its time we all stood up and fought for our sport and let the newspaper know with editorials and/or cancelled subscriptions that we disagree with them.
Also we all need to GET INVOLVED with clubs and organizations to do public service and get POSITIVE recognition. It could be anything.....Adopt a highway clean up, helping out at local events, weather and natural disasters, search and rescue and what ever else we can do to promote ourselves and our sport with the public.
Also dont be afraid to use the media AGAINST themselves. When you or a club is involved in helping at a community event, call the media, radio, television and even the newspaper. None of them want to be beaten to the punch on a newsworthy story. One of them will usually show!

Please for the future of our sport....I am personally pleading with everyone, not just in Minnesota but nationwide, portray our sport in a POSITIVE way and police each other before we have nowhere to ride! Let me assure you the ANTI groups are working very hard to stop us and everyone knows the squeaky wheel gets the grease. START SQUEAKING!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Minnesota Riders of ATVS are under attack.