Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted on the trails.

Old 04-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

It rained Friday night and all of Saturday and Saturday night. Our ride on Sunday was rather wet, but we rode. The trails are in better condition that I expected after being closed for 15 months. They are all clear and some rock has been added to some of the water crossings, making them pretty rough. With most all of trail 02 closed the only was through the trails is over Hawks overlook, which is a "skilled" area, but we had an 8 year old make it over all of it with-out a problem. Traffic was pretty light too, we met about 20 other 4 wheeers and one pick-up.

Trail 2 needs to be reopened though, since you have to come and go through trail 03, instead of making a loop to get back to the parking area.

Kirk

Old 04-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Range Rover

I noticed on themap the closed mostly main trails. It looks as if the closed the funnest way to the cave also. Oh well we will have to make do and be happy the opened it. I heard the people at wolf pen campground have a proposal on the board. Have no idea what it is though.

Old 04-02-2002, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

If you click on the link for in my first post, it will take you to the Update on Wolf Pen Gap. You can read the suggestions that has been sent to the forest Ranger. You can even send your own suggestions. The phone number and the mailing address is all there.....

They closed the trails that have the most water crossings. A sad but true fact of what happens when the tree huggers get their way.

Kirk

Old 04-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

I will be riding the Mena, Arkansas; Wolf Creek area in Mid May for five days with wife and friends. We live in East Texas with lots of good trails, but have never been to Mena. Would appreciate any suggestions about where to ride, good restaurents, other sites to see in the area.

Thanks

Ted

Old 04-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

go to www.cossatotriver.com and look at the cabins. Have not stayed there but rode by them many times. Have one booked memorial day weekend. You will enjoy it especially the kids cause the can swim in the creeks. Very cold and very clear water. Try ro call the chamber of commerce in Mena and see if they have maps. I had one years ago but cannot find it. While you are there if you see a forrest ranger he has maps with him of other riding other than wolf pen in the same area. Look under wolf pen gap also there is a campground with A Frame cabins where you can ride straight to the trails. One that will sleep five will cost about 60.00 and there is a small store and the have a bathhouse there also. If you need any other info just ask. Don't forget to ask someone to show you bluelake also.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

Mena is a very nice, clean, well kept town. I am sure you will enjoy it there. Seems that a lot of people from Texas does. There are several things to do in the Mena area. Here are a few links to the area.

ATV Cabins
Wolf Pen campground
about Mena, with some links
Queen Wilhelmina State Park

Mena is one of those towns that I call just real close to perfect.

Kirk
400ex@alltel.net

Old 04-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your money on the cabins. They are pitiful. The one that will sleep 4 has 2 twin sized mattresses laying on the floor, with plastic wrap all over them. The wrap is like trying to sleep on a pile of plastic sacks. The old guy that runs the place is really strange too. He wrote us a letter claiming we were "doing donuts in his garden, and burning his gardening stakes" when in reality, the guys camped next door were playing on their piped 400EX's all night, and had a big bon fire going.

Bathhouse? Hah, riiiight! What is called a bathhouse consists of a tin shed with 2 nozzled water hoses connected to a hydrant.

The trails are 100% better than the campground. I recommend camping trailside. Mena is a good drive from the trails, but it is the closest town. Be careful driving in, there are some STEEP road ditches, that just don't stop.

The campground has maps of the trails, plus there are maps located every so often on the trails themselves. Getting to the trails from the campground is tricky. You drive up a couple driveways, down an old logging road, THEN you hit the trails

If you go to the campground... Do yourself a favor. Don't get the old man to talking about his son-in-law. You will never get him to leave.

Old 04-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Range Rover

Hey Guys (or guys and gals)

Thanks for the info. Not knowing the area, we made reservations at a place called Sugar Creek. We have the "River House" reserved. They told us we can ride our ATV's from the cabin to the trails and back. They also said they have a special parking area for our trailers and ATV's. I hope it is a protected area. I would hate to park our stuff in their special area and discover the next day that someone liked our stuff more than we do.

Old 04-04-2002, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

While I was at Wolf pen Gap on Sunday I talked to a man that was staying at the sugar creek place. He said they were really nice. I doubt you will have to worry much about anyone bothering you stuff. That isn't something that happens often around here.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas