Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dusty, aren't you staying at some other place other than wolf pen campground. I don't know by GPS but when you get to Mena you take a right just after the wall mart. The road is right beside a new gas station that has a wendy's hamburger joint in it. Been there many times and cannot remember the gas station or the road number. Once you turn right just follow the signs to the campground. There are two or three signs along the way and you will turn right off of the main road and follow a blacktop road about 2-3 miles to the campground on the left. Kirk I would love to ride this weekend but my scrammy is down for about another week. Had a rod to go bad and waiting for it to get back so I can put it together. My wife has a magnum but she has to work and she might not want me to go by myself. A friend of mine has a Ranger(polaris) but he won,t commit to anything so who knows. The magnum might not keep up with your 400ex if that is what you have. I will know more thursday so keep a looking and I will let you know.

Old 04-16-2002, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

You are right on with the directions. Come through Mena on hiway 71, when you pass the wal-mart, there is a traffic light and take hiway 8 to the right, then about 1.5 miles hiway 375 turns off. Take 375, and stay on it about 8 miles or so, and you come right to the first trailhead. To get to the wold pen atv campground, stay on highway eight about 8 or so miles and a little gravel road turns off to the right, there is a sign for the campground, and a church and a cematary all where that road turns off. Easy to find.

I don't know for sure yet which day I will be there. I think I have a date Saturday evening, and I know if I go riding I wouldn't stop to go out on a date. You have to have your Priorities right you know. So, I am thinking probably Sunday I will be there.

Kirk

Old 04-17-2002, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

Snoopy,

Yes, we are staying at Sugar Creek I believe. I'm not sure thats the name, but I believe it is. Thanks for the directions to the trails. Kirk gave me a set of coordinates which I can use to locate any position on one of the topographical servers on the internet. I can then download any map or satellite photo I want of the area.

Do you guys recommend any restaurants in the Mena area. I owe a nice dinner to some friends who are going with us. Most of the time, we just eat sandwiches and stuff from the cooler, but I want one meal to be special for some special friends.

Thanks

Ted

Old 04-17-2002, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

The Chopping Block is a real good place to eat. It is on hiway 71 when you come into mena. I have ate at a few other places too, that are good. There is a mexican restraunt named papa pablanos it is across the street from wal-mart, and a place called smokehouse grill just past the wal-mart. Keep in mind that Mena is completly dry.

Kirk

Old 04-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Range Rover

I agree with Kirk that the chopping block is good. We always stop there when we make the trip to ride. Be sure and take enough fuel,food and cold beverages on the first trip unless you just want to come back to town to get supplies. It really isn,t that far back to town I always thought it was more of a hassle.

Old 04-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Range Rover

Kirk, have they looked at any of the proposals about reopening any of the trails they closed?

Old 04-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

about 2 minutes ago, I got off the phone with a lady named Judy at the forest service.She said she wasn't aware that there had been any proposals submitted that had to do with re-opening more of the trails. I for a fact know there have been several. I left my name and phone number and the forest ranger, is going to call me and talk with me about it.

The number for the Mena Ranger office is 479-394-2382. Give them a call, you might not find out anything, but they are at least polite on the phone....

Kirk

Old 04-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I posted a ride yesterday in this forum. We are going to be up there April 26-28. We will camp just north of Albert Pike. TexMud, myself and about 9 others from the forums are going. Any of you guys are welcome to join us. E-mail me if you need directions to our campsite.

gregsims01@excite.com

Greg