Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I was talking about a typographical map of the surrounding area. Dusty has never been so I was going to send him a map of everything except Wolf Pen. I wanted him to get to Blue Lake and all the other trails.

Ronnie

Old 04-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Snoopy,

After thinking about what you said about the helmets, and discussing it with my wife; wearing them makes sense. I've never shopped for helmets, so I really don't know what to look for. Do you recommend getting something to just protect your head or should we go all the way and get them with the face shield. I understand that the face shield answer is partly dependent on how ugly we are (always need to protect the other riders), but also; are the face shields any good for stopping dust, or are they real hot in the summer, ect? If the trails are really that rough and rocky, maybe we should also bring, leg & arm splints, neck braces, & back boards with assorted ace bandages and dressings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Kirk_D4,

I would like to have some of those maps you mentioned. I'm new on this board and don't know how safe it is to post an email address in the open. I'll look around and if private message is available on this board, I'll send you my email address.

Thanks

Ted

Old 04-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

For me I prefer the motorcross type of helment cause I have a pretty fast wheeler. By looking at what you ride I figure you are more of a ride and look type of rider. I am getting where I don't feel the need for speed anymore either. If I were gonna buy a helment tomorrow I would just by non motorcross type and a good pair of goggles.By non motorcross I mean one without the chin protector. You can get them also that don't cover the ears but cover just the top of the head. I think dust works its way into any type of helment that is why I prefer a dust mask or damp bandana over the nose and mouth. The rocky trails aren't as bad as I made them ought to be. If my wifw can go down them most anybody can. There are some slow rock crawling on one trail she won't go back down but it isn't that bad. Just run a little more air in your tires than normal to avoid flats. Maybe go up 3 pounds on each tire. Rides a little more rough but it is better than a flat. I would recomend also if you are running the big mud tires go back to stock for a better ride cause there is no mud there just roads and trails.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:29 AM
Range Rover

Snoopy,

Your probably right. I don't know what you ride, but we just ride the 4X4 machines. We do ride side by side wide open a lot when the trails and roads are wide enough. Her Rancher will do about 45 mph while my Foreman and the Big Bear will only do 42 mph. Everything on them is stock including the tires. I am kinda thinking about changing the tires on the rancher. We were climbing some hills Saturday which the Foreman climbed okay, but the rancher tires would spin out on about 3/4 of the way up. I wound up having to pull her up. I think if she had larger tires, she could have made it okay. I like your idea about the bandana, wet or dry. I have a lot of those really big bandana's because they also make good sweatbands around the head in the summer time. I can't stand for the sweat to run into my eyes. You can take one of those big bandanas off, wring the water out of it, put it back on and your back in business. I guess I will check some motorcycle shops tomorrow for helmets.

Ted

Old 04-09-2002, 09:20 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I would like any maps you have. I am especially looking for a detailed map from Wolf Pen Camp Ground to the trails. weidej67@aol.com

Old 04-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

Kirk, can you help weedy out with some maps. I have turned my house upside down and cannot find them. Try looking at Wolf Pens page and see if the have any.

Ronnie

Old 04-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Range Rover

All that I have is a printed national forest map. It is real big, nad don't show great detail. There is a map at.http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/wolfpen/wolfpen_map.htm . I haven't found a map of the Wolf Pen campground though. You might call the Camp ground and see if they can send one.

I am planning on being there the 20 or 21st. Not sure which day though. Maybe if the week is good, I can be there both days. Hope to see some of you there.

Kirk
400EX@alltel.net

Old 04-16-2002, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

Does anyone know the gps coordinates of any part of the area? Like the campground maybe. With the coordinates, I can go to any of the topo sites on the web and download a map.

Thanks

Ted

Old 04-16-2002, 01:12 AM
Range Rover

Kirk,

I saved the web page you gave as a .jpg file and then printed it. It printed good. Thanks!

Ted

Old 04-16-2002, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

okay, I don't know much about the GPS coordinates. But from looking on my national forest map, it looks like the trailhead to wolf pen gap is at ....

34*30'00''
94*10'30''

Is that what you are wanting?

Kirk

Quick Reply: Wolf Pen Gap, Mena Arkansas