Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Summer Riding in So. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002 | 12:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

scarecrow-Welcome!! I grew up riding a dirt bike. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The quads handle the soft stuff way better, and I personally much prefer a quad for technical trail riding. The disadvantages of a quad are that it is bigger and harder to transport, and to wide to fit on some narrow trails. And, if you can't make a climb on the quad, you can't just lay it down like a dirt bike (it's not a big deal, you just have to learn the drill of what to do if this ever happens).

Keep in mind that a quad doesn't handle like any other vehicle there is. You will have to get over the habit of putting your foot out every time you slow down (you will run over it with the back tire!!). And, you have to slide your butt around a lot to keep it form tiping over (you can't just LEAN, you have to shift your weight by sliding your butt). All this becomes second nature after a little time in the saddle. Once your leg heals, I would be glad to take you riding, so you can give it a try before you go out and spend your money.

At times, I have been tempted to get a dirt bike again, and do the dual sport thing. This is a big advantage, because being street legal, you can ride anywhere. But, I have trouble going back and forth between the two. The bike just seems so foreign after riding a quad.

Old 05-06-2002 | 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Hi YZGUY,

Are you going riding anywhere special this Sunday??

There is a good possibility we might be heading out Sunday just for the day. Maybe Gorman, Stoddard Wells we haven't decided yet.

One of these days we need to have a Southern California ATV Connection get together!!!

Honda Rubicon
Honda Recon ES
Yamaha Breeze

Old 05-07-2002 | 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

A So.Cal get together sounds like a great idea, pick the place and time and we are there.
Bearman

Old 05-07-2002 | 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks YZGUY for the warm welcome, I wouldnt mind taking you up on that offer, I really love riding the dirt bike but having a bad ankle is no good, so nurf's are the answer for me. (Mr. put down the foot and turn) I have seen what can happen to a leg after a rear tire chew's it up, in my PT center is guy who has been riding quads for about 20 years, he was playing around in a dry creek bed, hit a hidden rock, pitched sideways and his leg ended up under his moving quad's rear wheel, he tore it up real bad, the doc says he is lucky to be walking again. (bone out of the skin stuff)

On to a lighter subject before I pass out, YES NERF'S, YES!! I will use those bars and straps even if I look like a nerd or a geek! I will have a hard time keeping my foot on the pegs, I have been on a snowmobile and it is amasing how much body english is needed, I guess a quad is no different.
Not to get off the topic, do you guys ride in Lucerne Valley at all? Lots of open whooped out trails there, and there are a lot of District 37 races out there, just wondering, thanks guy's!
Bob

Old 05-07-2002 | 12:45 PM
|
Pro Rider

marcopolo-Actually, I am going to ride a place called Mazourka Canyon. It is east of Independance, in the Owens Valley. The road goes from the desert floor to Mazourka Peak (9,412 ft). It looks to be about a 50 mile ride, and there are a bunch of side trips to old mines. I saw it years ago in a 4X4 guide book, but never had the chance to check it out. I'm expecting it to be fairly though and technical (which is usual for old mine roads), so I will be taking the 4X4. I know if I don't do it now, I won't get to do it this season (it's on the dry side of the valley, and will be to hot very shortly!!). And, maybe a quick stop at Spangler Hills on the way back home.

scarecrow-I haven't riden Johnson valley (near Lucerne Valley) in a long time. So many places to ride, and not enough time!!

everybody-We are probably going to do Kennedy Meadows (my dirt bike friends are pushing for this one, but I think it is to early in the season???), or the Bishop area over the Memorial Day Holiday. Anyone is welcome to join us, wherever we end up going.

Old 05-07-2002 | 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

Hi YZGUY,

Independence sounds like a fun trip but it's kinda far for a Sunday drive. I live in Huntington Beach and by the time the girls get ready.... it's late in the afternoon hihi.

I agree with Bearman we need to have a Southern California get together soon.

Who wants to take the lead in organizing it???

Marco Polo

Old 05-09-2002 | 05:42 PM
Range Rover

blueleader
marcopolo,

y'all are near my side to town, santa monica, ca. have y'all tried the old rincon trail that starts at azusa cayons and end up somewhere near glendale off the 2 hwy, from what i hear it's a real good trail. i been itching to try it with the raptor. also have you guys found any local fire roads or trails to ride near los angeles, i hear theres a riding spot by the old train depot in the city of Commerce off the 5 fwy, and another of the 210 fwy near Burbank the exit is Osborn and travel north towards the hills, i haven't had a chance to check any of them out but i see trails all over when im driving by on the hwy. these places are the closets that i know near los angeles with having to travel east to San Ber.

eman40000

Old 05-10-2002 | 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Eman,

I have riden at Azusa but that's a very small area maybe 500 acres. Well that depends if they flood the river bed. It is for mud lovers and big 4X4 trucks. The park closes at sunset, so it's a day ride trip and the rangers are not that friendly, hihi ( Maybe my ranger encounter was a Sierra club member hihi).

By the way the newspaper LATIMES today had a big article on Pismo beach saying that it will remain open. Victory!!!!!

As far as the rincon trail I am not familiar at all. Does anybody else know??

Regards
Marco Polo

Old 05-10-2002 | 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

How many of us would be up for a So. Cal. get together ? Would it be a 1, 2 or 3 day ride. Lets put our heads together and put this thing together before it gets to hot. Any ideas
Bearman

Old 05-10-2002 | 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

I need a few weeks to get my motor parts back from Trinity! Going 686 baby!!!! I would love to go for some local riding though. Anywhere but Gorman. eman4000, is that where the LA shooting range is? I see that there are alot of horses in the area which would be a problem.

Quick Reply: Summer Riding in So. Calif.