Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Kennedy Meadows Update: So. Calif.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did a trip to KM (aka Kern Plateau) over the long weekend. Troy Meadows campground will soon be closing, for most of the season!! It is going to be completely reworked, and they are going to add 13 spaces. This is good, because as it is now, the campground isn't very trailer friendly! The only other option for campgrounds is Fish Creek, which is small and rocky.

We usually stay at Troy because it is about equal distance between Monachee Meadows and Sherman Pass, and we just trailer our bikes to the trailheads. So, with Troy closed, what are the alternatives?? You can stay at Troy Overflow (across the Highway), but it is sure to be crowded. Primitive camping is allowed in most areas, so check with the Forest Service for specific information (Blackrock Station: 760-376-3781, or Cannel Meadow Ranger District: 760-376-3781). You will only be able to get water at Fish Creek, or at Blackrock Station.

One alternative is to stay at one of the "fire safe" areas near the beginning of Monache Road. This has the advantage that you can ride right form your camp, and the kids can ride around a little in the fire safe (which helps keep them buisy, but be carefull about raising to much dust!!). You will have to trailer your bikes a long way to get to the Sherman trailhead though. OR, there are many BEAUTIFUL campsites further in along the Monache road! You can drop your trailer in one of the fire safes (chain it up if you don't want it to disapear), and have someone drive a truck with the camping gear while everybody else rides the bikes in.

SOME NOTES FOR FIRST TIMERS- The area is known as "Kennedy Meadows" because that is the exit you take off Highway 395 (just north of Pearsonville: county road J41, but some maps say 341), but that is NOT the riding area. You will reach a fork in the road near the KM store. Here you want to turn LEFT to Blackrock Station, instead of going straight (to KM campground). There are only two road systems where ATV's are allowed, so stop at Blackrock Station for riding area maps. Also, the roads are STEEP AND NARROW!! We take the flat trailers and tents for this one, and leave the motorhomes and toybox trailers at home!!

Old 06-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody interested in a trip July 18-21, can respond here.

Note, this riding area is threatened by Boxers wilderness initiative!! See- www.actionprogram.info and www.crowley-offroad.com

Bearman-You could call the ranger station numbers, and see of they will send you a map. If not, I could mail one to you. This area is high altitude, so temperatures are "relatively" cool. On our last trip, the nights were downright COLD! How was your trip to Mammoth???

Old 06-23-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

i just heard about KM from somebody and was wandering how long the trip is from Chino Ca. (Inland Empire) & do people with 4x4s take toy haulers or not.just asking because of the steep & narrow roads u speak of. thanx

Old 06-24-2002, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is about a 2.5 hr drive to the KM turnoff on 395. Then, you climb about 30 miles into the mountains which takes another hour or so. You see toy haulers in there, but be sure you have a very capable tow vehicle!! One reason to NOT bring the toyhauler is that you will have to trailer your bikes to the trail head. Who wants to pull up their whole camp just to drive a few miles to the trailhead??? We rough it on this one.

Old 06-29-2002, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hi yzguy
I called the Ranger station but have not received a map yet, maybe soon. Mammoth was great, nice and cool with lots of areas to ride. We will ride there again as soon as possible. We are interested in the Kearney Meadows ride and meeting your family but the wife doesn't care for camping without the weekend warrior. How far is the nearest town, with a motel? Our tow vehicle is a 2 wheel drive power stroke diesel, sounds like a 4by4 is mandatory.
Bearman

Old 07-01-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Bearman-The area is remote, and there aren't any services nearby. 4X4 isn't necessary. The road is paved up to the start of the Monache Road (34E38). It is just that the roads are steep and narrow, but if your truck is a good puller GO FOR IT (got to keep mom happy!!). You do see big rigs in there, so lots of people do it.

How big is your trailer?? I would suggest camping at the SECOND FIRESAFE about 1 mile in on the RIGHT along the Monache Road. The road is rough, but not terrible. The FIRST FIRESAFE is about 1/2 mile in on the LEFT. It is ok, but very dusty!! You could camp in the first one if you think the road is to bad for the trailer. Don't try to go past the second firesafe though, because the road turns into a trail from there on. You can ride the Monache road system right from your camp. I would be willing to trailer your bikes to the Sherman Pass ride (33E48). They only give us the two road systems to ride, yet they give the dirt bikes hundreds of miles of trails (go figure???). Some people in my group want to camp at the River Campsites (near Bakeoven Mdw on your map), but I think logistically it is better to be in the firesafes, and just do day rides to the river.

We just got back form 5 days at Mammoth!! We stayed in a friends condo, so we had it pretty cush. In the future, I think I would camp along Deadman Creek. It seems like a nice area.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the info yzguy, I will check with the boss but it sounds like we will make the trip. Thank you for the offer of transporting our quads for us but if our daughter makes the trip we can have her help us with her [my spare lol] trailer, you are truly a nice guy. I am looking forward to riding Kennedy Meadows, if my map doesn't arrive perhaps you could e-mail me directions because I am not familiar with that area at all.
Bearman

Old 07-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

1Bearman-Hadn't heard anything, so wasn't sure if you were going to make it to Kennedy?? Looks like we have several families going. We are going up very early Friday morning. I drive a white Suburban with a lift, big bike racks on the roof, and a large white flat trailer. I will be in the second firesafe (I hope), on the Monache Rd. I think some are going to camp in the firesafe and others at the "river campsites", at the end of Monache Rd. Up there at 8,000 ft it should be a bunch cooler!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

YZGuy
Man, it just did not work out. I should have e-mailed you earlier to say we can't make it but all heck has broke loose around here. Hope we can do another ride together sometimes.
Bearman

Old 07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!! It rained hard the day before we got there, so the trails were packed out and the dust wasn't bad. Water level in the river is very low though. We pretty much had the whole place to ourselves. I'm still finding more mosquito bites I didn't know I had! Troy Meadows campground is still open.

Fried my rear brakes (on the Suburban which is famous for being under braked) going out. Even in low gear, the darn automatic transmission doesn't hold you back very well, and with a fully loaded trailer it is even worse.

Quick Reply: Kennedy Meadows Update: So. Calif.