Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Not sure if this link is still alive but.....I'm a Wellsville native living in Columbus, just bought a new dirt bike and can't wait to go "home" and ride in the pits. Can someone give me an update? From what I read above, does this mean you can't drive down to the tressel anymore? How much are these campground areas charging?

Old 05-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well hello there fellow Wellsvillian.............

Yeah, you can still get down to the tressel, just not over the tracks that lead up into the main area of the Pits. They took the road out that crossed over the railroad tracks....(the road that goes inbetween Abdalla's campsites). I'm not real sure how much the campgrounds are charging, but if you are staying somewhere in town when you come home, you pretty much don't have to worry about parkind a truck and trailer anywhere, you can just ride down in on the bike. That is what we do when we ride the atv.

Backseatrider[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you don't mind drop me an email and let me know who you are. jflong@earthlink.net
I come up home about once a month. Probably more now that I have a bike. Wellsville is pretty boring otherwise.

Old 05-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

I do not think that Hillbilly will be causing any more problems with riders. If memory serves me right he died a while back. I think someone shot him in the head while he was sleeping.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

HI. I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about Wellsville. I am from around Toledo ohio and was thinking about going there on Labor Day weekend. I have read all the others notes about this area and I wasn't for sure if it is open or if it is still a good place to ride. I could use as much information as anyone can give before Thursday. Thanks

Old 08-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer

Last time I was there (about three years ago) it was outlaw riding at its finest... Lots of mud, hillclimbs, etc. Dangerous too. Lots of drunks, idiots without helmets, etc. If you can find a place to park & keep an eye out for the occasional bad/careless rider, you'll have fun.

If you're gong to be in that area Labor Day weekend you should check out Rumbleontheridge on Saturday.

www.rumbleontheridge.homestead.com

30+ miles of trail, lots of hillclimbs, mud, high-speed open areas, creek crossings and tight woods riding. Pretty much everything except sand dunes. They're pretty well organized; there'll be places along the trail to eat, drink, & use the john. Its only about 30-min south of
Wellsville.

Both places beat the heck out of Maumee State Forest.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I go to Wellsville all the time. I'm also going Labor Day weekend. My buddies and I have a campsite down there. Its a great place to ride. Send me a message if you want more info.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

The Pits aka Yellowcreek is still very much alive and active. In fact, they just had a poker run over this past weekend to benefit a little boy who was severly injured by a lawnmower. It's a ride at your own risk kinda place. There is some nice areas of riding, but there are the areas for the more experienced rider as well. My suggestion, for those who have never ridden in the Pits, is to hook up with some riders who know their way around. The Pits can be very tricky at times, especially for those who love to night ride. Over the years, it has become very rutted in some areas, be careful. I've been riding down there since the days of dune buggies and dirt bikes, when atv's were only being thought of and not yet invented.........hehehe. It's a great time, a great area to ride, but use caution because it can be dangerous as well. The Pits has taken more than one life. Also, fyi, there is a newly open little store right on Clark Avenue called The Pit Stop Mini Mart and they cater to the riders. Plenty of hot and cold foods, beverages, and even some bike supplies are available there. The food is really good!! If you need directions.............leave a post!!

Backseatrider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Backseatrider, yes I would like directions, I believe we will be coming from Youngstown. I think we are going to go ride on Friday, it would be nice to ride with a group if we can find one, and i don't know where we could park to unload, if you could help me there. That would be great.

Backseatrider2

Old 08-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know if you have seen it or will see it, but i did send you a message..I think it was a private message...But i would like any information you have.

Quick Reply: Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS