Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Backseatrider 2

I didn't get a private message. I will give you the directions for the Pits. If you are coming in from Youngstown, just follow Route 11 to Route 7 to Wellsville. Take the Route 39/Aten Avenue exit. If you are looking for a place to park, then at the bottom of this exit you can take a right and follow Route 39 and the signs for either Forbidden Zone or Tall Oaks campground. These are two campgrounds set up for riders. Or, if you want to take a chance of parking in the Pits, you can take a left at the Route 39 exit, go straight till you come to a 4-way stop, take a left there, going straight on Clark Avenue, till you come to a road on the left that has a sign saying Wellsville Industrial Park. Take that road and follow all the way down in. You will go under two tressels along this road. You will see a dirt road that bares right, up over a hill. Take that road and you will come up on railroad tracks. I don't know how they are right now, but sometimes riders make a make shift type bridge over it, to cross them. You can cross those and drive right up in, you will see other riders parked up in the staging area as well. As far as finding anyone to ride with, the riders are pretty friendly down there, I am sure you could hook up with a group easily. Hope this helps you out! If you need any other info, let me know.

Backseatrider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

Backseatrider 2...........

I replied to your post, but for some reason it did not get posted........I'll try this again and hope it is not too late. If you are coming in from Youngstown, taking Route 11 to Route 7 towards Wellsville, you will take the Route 39/Aten Avenue Exit for Wellsville. At the bottom of this exit, you can take a right, heading out Route 39 and you will see signs for Tall Oaks or Forbidden Zone campsites. You can park at either one of these campgrounds for a fee I believe.

You can also take a left at the bottom of this exit, go straight till you come to a 4-way stop. Take a left at that 4-way, onto Clark Avenue. Go straight till you see Wellsville Industrial Park on the left, take the road that goes into the industrial park. Follow this road......you will pass under two tressels, you will see a dirt road off to the right, going up over a hill........you will come to railroad tracks which you will have to cross. Sometimes they have something over the tracks so you can cross over........if not, be careful of your vehicle. You cross over these tracks and drive right up into the staging area. You will see other folks parked up in there as well.

As far as hooking up with someone to ride with, there are plenty of friendly riders down there. You won't have any trouble finding someone to show you around. Hope this helps!!

Backseatrider [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your help. Hope to have fun there!

Old 09-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering if you knew of any other areas in West Virginia to ride. I ride double with my boyfriend so i need areas that allow that. I was wondering if any knew about Wagon Wheel WV. Any information would help. You have helped out great so far! By the way we did have fun in Wellsville just a little rough!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry, never heard of Wagon Wheel, WV......but I am sure if you make another post asking some other folks, they may be able to help you out. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the Pits, it is a bit rough.......lol. I've only been riding there, back behind Mingo, and on a friend's property. Good Luck!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-26-2003, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Backseatrider2, let me know if you need more info on wellsville. I am from the youngstown area also.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

What is the latest on this place?

Old 05-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was reading ur message and was wondering if this place is still open to 4x4 s if so is it limited to size or anything like thatsure hope to hear from someone soon im getting the fever to go mudding lol

Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry for the delay in responding......my email addy changed, so my password with this site did as well. Trouble is, I forgot it and had to remember where I saved it........found it!!

As for Yellow Creek.......it's OPEN!! They are not charging to get in, but there are campsites that do charge for camping and/or parking at them. As far as what can be ridden down there, anything still goes I suppose. WARNING........it's getting a bit "MORE" rough since we have had some bad weather lately. A lot of trails are being washed out, making it difficult........but hey, who's not up for a challenge.

There is also going to be a harescrambles (not sure of that spelling) held here in Wellsville. This won't be at Yellow Creek, but on private property located out Route 45. The AMA will be sponsoring the event two days in June (I believe it is the 5th and 6th). They will have two-wheelers one day and 4-wheelers the next. The Wellsville Volunteer Fire Dept. will be running the concessions and will also have a set up to wash bikes for a small fee. I'll keep you posted to more info. as I get it.

Backseatrider
aka Councilwoman

Old 05-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just wondering if anyone from the Canton area is riding there this weekend ( Memorial Day 2004 ). Some friends and myself will be there all weekend,enjoying the best riding on earth.

2003 Z 400

Quick Reply: Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS