Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TextHas anyone been riding at the PITS lately? If so, what has been happening? Any trouble with anyone?

Word is, they have to replace the road over the tracks to the staging area. Supposedly, someone got injured and the EMT's couldn't drive over the tracks to get to them.

We took a ride last Sunday and all was quiet. No sign of the Hillbilly or anyone getting chased out.

If someone has been there and has any new info., fill us in please!

In kind regards

Old 06-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Backseatrider, I'm new to the forums and saw your post. I used to ride Wellsville alot but havn't been there for at least a year and a half. (sold my quad) I was wondering if its OK to ride down there? The last time I was there all the stuff was hitting the fan from what I heard. When we went over the track we could see that they had bulldozed the sides of the entrance and put up the signs that said "if we wanted to keep this area open clean up your trash". But were still letting people ride. Then I heard through the grapevine they were charging people to ride, is there any truth to that? I want to get a small group of friends to ride down there but don't want to make the 2 1/2 drive to find its closed. PLEASE let me know whats going on. Thanks

Old 06-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

They are not charging anyone to ride, they truly can't. There are several owners of that property and most don't like the others. They are, however, charging to camp (and/or park) if you do this at one of the two campsites that have been formed. One is called the Forbidden Zone campground and the other is , I think, Tall Oak campground or something like that. These two campgrounds are owned by the two idiots who tried to make it a pay to play area a couple years back and was charging membership fees (which some paid and then the idiots pulled out, with the money of course). I personally wouldn't give money to either of these crooks, but out of towners don't have much of a choice since they ( the railroad) took the road out the goes over the tracks. If you do rent off of these idiots, get a receipt.....please! There are organizations who want to clean this place up and keep it open, but these two idiots don't want to participate (they wouldn't be making there money), so if we could shut them down.........sure would be nice.

Now, if you are coming in off of RT 7 and going along the road past Wellsville's industrial park (this road is actually old RT 7), you can park along this road (because it has curbing) legally and just ride your bikes down in. I have already checked with local police and they said there is nothing they can do if riders park along there because there is a curb. As long as enough room is left for a vehicle (pertaining to emergency vehicles) to pass around, it is a legal park.

A few months back, Hillbilly aka Craig Roberts was trying to get police to arrest people who went riding down there.....he can't, he doesn't own any property only runs the tall oak campsite who is owned by someone else. To be honest, the police in our town can't stand him. Not to mention, once you get past that tressel, you are beyond Wellsville's jurisdiction.

So, there is about as much info as I can give you at this point. We ride down there and haven't had any problems, but we live right in town and just ride our bikes down in.

Hope this helps, and if you need anymore help.......let me know!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 06-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two friends of mine went last Sunday. Trailered in from Cleveland. The railroad tracks were a pain to get over. Got hung up, busted all of the lights on the trailer! Had no problems once they were in. No one bothered them about riding. On the way out, a temporary "ramp" over the tracks was built so that was not a problem getting out. They got the same story on the area that Backseatrider has posted. Hillbilly is a bum! Rumor has it he is the one tearing up the road over the tracks.

Old 06-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Backseatrider for the info. I am trying to get a group of friends and co-workers together to go sometime in late July. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help keep it open. I know and ride with at least 25 people from around Sandusky Ohio, and I also know a bunch of off-road vehicle clubs(Jeeps and trucks) if there is a clean up or anything we would be happy to help. One of the biggest disapiontments going there was people using the sides of the entrance as a dumping ground, It's a great place to ride, lets keep it open!

Old 06-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] "WARNING!!!!!!"

To all riders of Yellow Creek Pits.............

This past Friday, railroad police were issuing tickets to anyone caught riding on, over, or along the tracks. Supposedly, the railroad owns up to 50 feet on either side of the tracks. No doubt, this is in connection with Hillbilly aka Craig Roberts and/or Warren Springer. If they stop us from crossing over the tracks into the main staging area, then you are forced to gain access through one of their campsites, for a fee of course.

Will keep you posted![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2002, 01:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wellsville is open.

I was down there on June 23 rode all day with no problems with any land owners. ( there is 7 main land owners )

The owner who owns the land running next to the creek bottom wants everyone off of his property so he had another land owner cut the trees down. The land owner of the creek area wants peace and quiet.

If you enter off of Rt 7 and into the staging area or the pitts there is a township road running through and it is a federal offense to anyone blocking this road. Since the road was built for minning purposes and is no longer in use for the purpose of minning it is now called an "a" "B" road. Riding on an a,b road is legal. Blocking a,b roads is illegal.

The staging area or the pitts is also part of the a,b road, the owner of this land does not want us to park there but we can not be arrested for trail riding on any a b road however you can get arrested for a DUI, no tags etc...

About 30% of the 3000 acres we ride on in wellsville is state owned. However the differant ways in that we go are all on someones personal property.

If the land owners agree to keep us out ( highly unlikely because they all hate each other ) they can legally close the area and there is nothing we can do.

1 main owner is very money happy. He tried to charge us and make a park out of the area a few years back....Still got that yellow sticker??? Every get a copy of a waiver???? or how about a receipt????

This Spring they tried to charge again and it only created more problems then profit.

There are 2 men involved in this situation both see a profit and both have an "in" with the township/city.

Yes the railroad tracks have been dugged out making it rough on trailers to get into the area. BUT there is several places to park the trailers.

Yes they are trying to keep us out. TRYING though ride have fun use your brains.

The area has allot of trees cut down trying to block the trails.

But it is still possible to ride.

Any comments email me at jeepchic2001@yahoo.com

Trending Topics

Old 02-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS

Jeepchic, it is almost march. I just finally got a new ride and want to get out. I am next to Stow in Summit county. Any new news on wellsville? I had friends that used to ride there all the time but I have never been there. It looks pretty grim from what I keep reading. Do you have any new info? Thanks!!!!!!

Revshredd

Old 02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pay to play, by the day or get a camp by the year, or if you have a 4x4 that can make it across the tracks without riping up your truck its free, just don't get caught on the tracks!
BIG FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. backseatrider good luck in the election, how the old mans new job going.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the support, shame you don't live here.........oh, I forgot.....you don't vote......hehehehe

The ole man likes his job, this is a plus....hehehe. He had a run to Philadelphia and on the way back (right after the big storm), they closed the turnpike (because of a bad accident) and he had to take a load up over 30 at Breezewood. He has become a legend at work for that trip. Don't mention it to him though, don't want it going to his head.......hahaha. The lil' dude has his first basketball game today.....this ought to be good. The ole man leaves for Baltimore Sunday night. He won't get much riding in except for weekends. Last time I was on a bike, was the Chili Fest........oh, forgot, you missed that.

Hope the mrs. and the future lil' yellowcreekrider are doing fine!!

backseatrider

(PS.......did you hear about what they are going to do with the old Mini Mart?

Quick Reply: Yellow Creek, Wellsville, aka PITS