Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride in Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< Unless Colorado has changed their mind, you'll need a permit, no matter what state you are from and no matter what sticker your state has. Last year I was met in St. Elmo by some Nat. Forest Service reps and they wanted to see my permit, which I had. I believe the permit cost me $15. The National Forest Service is a prisoner of the logging companies. All fees paid by us riders are just used to hire more people to charge for &quot;day use&quot;, as we found out in Imogene Pass. The loggers do much more damage to the environment than any 2 or 4 wheelers could possibly do. Log skidders remove the topsoil and cause enormous ruts. Sorry for the rant, but the NFS isn't on our side. They will readily close trails for ATV's but allow logging trucks and equipment in the same area. We are just a nuisance to them. >>

Nope, all your quad has to be is registered in your home state. Colorado won't require anything else. Trust me! Before they closed all of the riding areas near me we rode up there a couple of times and my New Mexico registration was fine. The one time we met up with an official he was perfectly satisfied that our license plates were attached and visible. Didn't even ask for additional paper work.

Old 07-06-2002, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Expeditioneer, I am curious about these permits that you refer to. I have never heard of such a thing here. Do you have any more info as to what the permit actually was.? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2002, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

My riding buddy warned me last year that I needed a permit to ride. I met him and he took me to a motorcycle/quad shop in Colorado Springs, where I purchased my sticker. Last year was the first year for it. When the National Forest Service reps approached me, they saw my sticker. I complained about it; why is the US National Forest Service enforcing a Colorado State Law.....where they do not have jurisdiction. They said that the US Forest Service gets some portion of the fee, so they *did* have jurisdiction. I've another friend in Ouray, CO who worked for the Forest Service during last summer. He said they hadn't been writing tickets, but were checking for the stickers, and were enforcing the &quot;Day Use&quot; fees for the Imogene Pass Road. Maybe they've dropped the sticker requirement this year, but I still have the sticker on my quad and had thought it was a forever policy to have annual stickers. 'Course, I won't be riding in CO this year......too many fires.

Old 07-07-2002, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

messed up, duplicate

Old 07-07-2002, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

If Alabama doesn't require any type of OHV registration that could be why you had to get a permit. If your machine has an ORV sticker from another state it has to be recognised by the state you're in, just like the plates on your car or truck.

Old 07-07-2002, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Most states honor other states stickers for up to 30 days continous. Anything over 30 requires a sticker from that state.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

I have twelve friends who just got back from a week of riding in the Pitkin area. They had a great time. They stayed at the Quartz Creek Lodge. Phone 970-641-6174. You can probably call the folks at the lodge and ask them about the trails in the area. You also can probably go to the Pitkin, Colorado web page to get information. &quot;www.pitkincolorado.com&quot;.

Ted

Old 07-14-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back from the 8 day trip to ride in Col. and had a great time except for the no fire rule, but could see the reason for it. We did ride the Pitkin, St Elmo, Tin cup arear for 2 days, then when to the Peach Vally area for 1 day of riding(very hot), 2 more days of riding at the Green Mountain area, and then ended up at Flat top for 2 more days. Each area was great, was asked at the St. Elmo area by the forest service for tags and checked for spark arresters, got in trouble for riding to fast over Tin cup pass by him. At the flat Top area got to see a fire and ride into some area that had burned a weeke or more before. Had a great time and will plann on coming back again next year. In the 7 days of riding, the speedo put on 421 miles on my 400EX. On day at Flat top did 102 miles in 2 trips that day.