Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Where to ride in Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are planning a trip to Col the 2nd week in July. Last year we rode North of Divide and around Taylor Lake. Is there another place to ride out there close to those 2 area that will be about the same type of riding? We will be riding Raptors and 400EX's on the trip.

Old 06-25-2002, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link, they have a neat trail locator on there.

COHVCO

Old 06-25-2002, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Double check any areas you want to ride before you leave. They are closing ATV trails faster than they can be listed due to fire danger. Some Forests are also being closed for any activity for the same reason.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Wolley is right on that one. The entire area around Divide is closed presently to all activities. Taylor Resevoir is in the Gunnison National Park and may not be closed but I wouldn't count on it.
If you don't mind going a bit further East, Grand Junction is a sure bet and offers some great riding for sport quads. different than the mountain style of terrain you rode last year, but well worth the couple extra hours of driving.
It has been bad for fires out here and I know its better to be safe than sorry but they are closing places left and right.
Good luck, post if you decide where to go.

Old 06-26-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. Tell me more about this Grand Junction area, I have not heard about it. If the Divide area is closed, we will need someplace else to ride during the week that we are there (Col).
If I don't get back to you today, I will be out of town Thursday to Sun. Have to go to Fort Dodge for the TT race. Have to work it.

Old 06-27-2002, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer

They are just now letting famlies back into the area(Divide) but I don't see them opening up the area for recreational use anytime soon. Good chance the area you rode in had the Hayman fire go right through it, 137,000 acres and counting.
Anyways, Grand Junction is probably 4 hours or so from Denver, due West on I-70. Plenty of lodging and a few bike shops for any mechanical needs. There is just massive terrain in the area that is for off-highway vehicle use. One of the areas I believe is called Grand Valley and is probably 150,000+ acres of open spaces, hill climbs, trail riding through valleys, and a few "back yard" style of tracks. It can be seen from I-70 to the North as you get in closer to town. Lots of 4WD vehicles but a HUGE area so it's never a problem. Almost desert like without the dunes- mostly hard pack w/ rolling hills. It does get into the 90's and even 100's at times but fires will never close this place, basically nothing to burn.I think the elevation is about 6000 feet. And it's free!
A phone number that still may be good that could tell you more than I ever could is (303) 243-6561. If it is still good it's the number of the local Recreational Management Area (RMA) office.
Unfortunately I live only about a half hour from Divide and have to travel cross-state for any good riding because of these fires. I'm trying to get a trip together myself w/ a few friends for there so keep me posted if you decide to go,probably just a weekend but maybe times will work out the same.
Hope this helps,
Chavychav

Old 07-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info again. I was told this past weekend about going to Pitkin and the St. Elmo area. What can you tell me about these places? Also, do we need tag or some type of permits to ride next week? We have tags from our state, is that good enought or do we need to get a vistor's permit and where?

Old 07-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Pitkin and St. Elmo are within probably 20 miles of Taylor Reservoir, so probably similar riding as you're last trip. I had 4WD into Grizzly lake straight south of St. Elmo years ago but I don't believe it is passable by quad.
As far as permits I'm not sure but I do think you're supposed to have something other than your own states. I know I've heard something being said on this subject before but didn't pay much attention to it at the time because it wasn't an issue for me.(I've been out of the off-road scene for a couple years now and am just getting going again). Depending on your route out here if you're going to that area, you will probably go through either Colorado Springs or Pueblo. I think permits can be purchased at most motorcycle shops and I would try Apex Sports #1-800-748-1799 in the Springs and Paradise Motorsports #1-800-695-6781 in Pueblo. They should be of more help and probably know about areas that are still open.

Old 07-03-2002, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

As long as your ATV is resgistered in your home state and has some kind of official sticker on it, you are ok. no need to get any tempy registation here.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

Unless Colorado has changed their mind, you'll need a permit, no matter what state you are from and no matter what sticker your state has. Last year I was met in St. Elmo by some Nat. Forest Service reps and they wanted to see my permit, which I had. I believe the permit cost me $15. The National Forest Service is a prisoner of the logging companies. All fees paid by us riders are just used to hire more people to charge for "day use", as we found out in Imogene Pass. The loggers do much more damage to the environment than any 2 or 4 wheelers could possibly do. Log skidders remove the topsoil and cause enormous ruts. Sorry for the rant, but the NFS isn't on our side. They will readily close trails for ATV's but allow logging trucks and equipment in the same area. We are just a nuisance to them.

Quick Reply: Where to ride in Colorado?