Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Big Bay Michigan ride - 400 miles - 4 days - LOTS of mud >>>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kez,

WOW!!!

From your quote above:

"John, if you know so much about Michigan's U.P. then why are you making such a big deal about this unanswered question?"

Actually Kez, there were TWO unanswered questions that you intentionally avoided answering AGAIN!

1) Why did you blatantly mislead us regarding what these good people 'actually' told you about 'reriding' and 'mapping' this private land that they so graciously shared with you.........

and

2) Why are you and Lackdog insisting on giving people a "HOW TO" primer on how to take advantage of their generosity; AFTER they've asked you to quit doing them a 'favor' by posting their business all over the net?

This was a simple conversation until someone was suddenly labeled a 'smartass'......Unfortunately (for you and your buddy) this initiated (another) phone call to these good people that caused the above questions to remain unanswered.

The number to the Big Bay Hotel is 906-345-9444.

If anyone else on here wants to 'go off on me' after talking to these people about their services.............bring it on.

Thanks, AGAIN, jigginjack; I'm not sure that we can ever save these people from actually becoming the stereotypes that they constantly create for themselves in "northern folk's" eyes.

John

Old 08-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Range Rover

Hey

I was just wondering.

1. Are there many trails that are sport quad friendly.

2. If so is the the tour sport quad friendly? How fast do they ride?

3. What is the cost of the tour?

4. Do you need to be registered in michigan? I have a Wiscinsion sticker.

Thanks

Old 08-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

At this point, since someone is obviously being less than truthful, I'd call the hotel and get your answers from the owners. I'm sure they and one of their guests are discussing 'Michigan Manners' this weekend and will be glad to set the record straight for you.

note:
I'm sure there are some on here that figure this is all ado about nothin'........

I have always had a real problem with people who take advantage of another's generosity (payed for or not) and then BRAG about it so that others can do the same. ESPECIALLY, when good folks like these people have asked them NOT TO.

I come from a small town and maybe those ideals just don't translate well in the 'big city' or today's "I'll do whatever the hell I want to, 'cause YOU can't stop me", 'real' world..................

Another example:

I discovered that a member of our state ORV advisory board was (I can only call it) 'gouging' parents an extra $25 to 'sit in' on safety training classes that they were required to attend anyways. You should've seen the crap hit the fan............

The trainer told me that if I was so worried about the poor people that couldn't afford the extra $25; I should go out and raise money for them and give it 'back' to HIM for each student that wouldn't (or couldn't) pay it! (and 'that' would be 'my' contribution to 'his' club......)

The other members of this same club sat back and kept their mouths shut because 'somebody' promised to deliver them a metro riding area right out their front door......(IF they would ignore the rest of the state's trail problems and shout down or 'ban' anyone who started asking questions).

I'm just sick and tired of nobody having the ***** to stand up for what's 'black and white' right for 'rural' Michigan.

John

Old 09-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

What did the folks at Big Bay Hotel have to say, this weekend?

John

Old 09-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Big Bay, is very sport Quad freindly.. Most of the ridding there is duty roads. There are some pretty good hills close by. Right behind the campgrounds is a small one to try. Mud in Big Bay is few and far between.

Old 09-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

I was in Big Bay for a whole week, and never took my quads of the trailer once. I rode some of the snowmobile trails in my truck, and they were HORRIBLE! I can't imagine anybody a sport quad enjoying themselves on those trails. Also, when I asked locals about riding there, nobody would give me a straight answer. One guy gave me a map that looked like someone had drawn it with a pencil. While I think Big Bay is a great place, and I plan on taking another trip there, I'll probably never bring my quads again.
Just my 2 cents. Take it for what you will.

Old 09-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Twinshot, what do you mean by horrible?. Horrible for sport quads or utility quads? Where they far to muddy or rough? Next summer I'd like to check this place out but your additional info might help me make a wiser decision.

Steve

Old 09-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

It was just WAY WAY to muddy for my taste. I don't know if I just caught it after some big rain or something or what. I mean, they weren't all that bad, but it just seemed to me that there was more mud than anything. Also like I said, I couldn't get a straight answer out of any of the locals on where I could ride. I couldn't find any real trail maps of the area, and the maps I did have had road names on them, but the actual roads themselves were not marked. Also, I stopped at a Ranger station in Munising on my way up to ask them where I could ride. The lady there told me that they didn't really have any designated trails, and that the whole ORV trail system up there was pretty pathetic. If you can find someone who knows the area, and all the laws, then I'd say go for it.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:20 PM
kez
Trailblazer

Edstr 13.
1. Yes, the trails can be sport quad friendly, depending upon the season you go. I snapped the axle on my griz this Labor Day weekend, so I rode my Raptor and ended up putting on 220 miles on it according to my friends Odometer. Check out the pics of my raptor this weekend on Lackdog.com/
2.They take you to where they think you are capable of doing with your bike. They are extremely accomodating. Although some of the trails are definately not for novice riders.
3.I don't want to mislead you or anyone any more, so you will have to call them for prices and details.
4.No, all you need is an ORV sticker which can be purchased up there. The cost is 16.00.
Hope you have fun, if you do go I would like to recomend bringing dust masks if there hasn't been any rain.
Kez

Old 09-04-2002, 09:41 PM
kez
Trailblazer

Twinshot,
What snowmobile trail were you on? The only place that is unpassable by a sport quad is the Moose County Trail.. If you were up there all week, you would have had to have seen some sport quads! Where did you stay? I was on my Raptor all weekend long...
Maybe if you had taken your quads off the trailer, and taken some of the logging roads instead of staying on the flat snowmobile trails, you would have had more fun!
If you didn't have good maps, that's your own fault. Before you went up you should have contacted Marquette County tourism and they would provide you with an excellent county map. And why would you ask a DNR office in Munising about the ATV trails in Big Bay? The one to ask, would have been the one in Marquette. You had to drive right by it if you were coming from Munising, it's right off 41 just before the prison.

Quick Reply: Big Bay Michigan ride - 400 miles - 4 days - LOTS of mud >>>>