Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Big Bay Michigan ride - 400 miles - 4 days - LOTS of mud >>>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 08:36 PM
kez
Trailblazer

DoubleBoss,
Absolutely excellent post, if it was a debate, you would have won hands down. Where to start? I'm sorry I couldn't have remained as level headed as yourself, but John had attacked someone's character without a fleeting thought about the repercussions. Being that ignorant, had eraged me. So, I set out to give John a tongue lashing on this forum. Although, in the act, it made my friend and I, look like the villains.

My friend had set out to give this little motel a little free publicity, in response to how well these owners and towns people had treated him. He may have not written about the motel and its tours, with the utmost clarity, but his intentions were modest. He wanted the readers of this forum to know of a great place to ride and if they had any questions to call the motel.

Maybe I can clarify this while remaining calm, and level headed as yourself. The owners give these tours, on which, 90% of the land on which you ride is beautiful and open to the public. The 10% of which is private, is so remote, that unless you have a gps, or an unimaginable great sense of direction, they are confident enough to think you will not find your way back there, even some of the public areas in which they take you are amazingly difficult to find by retracing your steps. Besides that, they don't have to stop each time to tell you not to come back, because there are big orange signs which read "private property". It's hard to explain unless you have been there to understand what I am talking about. All they are trying to do is to preserve there business, I am assuming this, and I can respect it.

What John doesn't understand, is that by attacking someone publicly, is not a way to get your unanswered question,.......answered. He should have private messaged Lack, or E-mailed him, asking him to clarify his comments, or maybe just reword his question?

Alot of people were caught in friendly-fire in this thread....... And the sad thing is,,,,,,, it should have never came to this!

I wish you would have stepped in sooner!

Old 09-16-2002 | 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thanx for the kind words , Kez! Your explanation makes complete sense. It can be pretty dang remote up there. That's why we love to go!!I figured that it wasn't near the issue that Michimaniac claimed it to be. He has a HUGE track record of this same kind of behaviour. It's very self destructive and a little bit mega-maniacal; besides the fact that he ends up pissing everybody off, rather than proving his point. It's too bad really... I hate to see someone with that much passion for the sport be such a negative influence. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
It sounds like a great place to ride up that far. We usually don't travel much further than Luce Co.; although, we did make it over to Iron River last year. It was absolutely beautiful and we'd like to visit again!I loved the pics. A little muddy for us, but looks like you justified the added expense of the 4wd!!!
Just a suggestion for the tour operators, next time your up there. How about some sort of "tour pass" to identify that your at their motel if your on some of the private property they have agreements with? Might solve a potential problem AND allow freedom of access to "restricted" areas? Also give an identifier that could be easily traced locally, in case anyone is "acting up".
Happy riding guys! Thanx for sharing the pix and best wishes to the motel/tour operators!

Old 09-17-2002 | 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

'Someday' you guys will admit to the fact that this was simply about one man's call(s) to the owners of a hotel and their disappointment with YOUR actions 'on' and 'off' the trail.

From Kez's comment regarding 'Lackdog' above.........." He may have not written about the motel and its tours, with the 'utmost clarity' "........

....or his ensuing claim that I did not ask my questions 'correctly'; so they went (and remain) 'unanswered'..............

....along with the opinions 'of' these two that came straight from the owner's mouth.........(uh... yeah, they'll still take your money...)

....were enough for me to just 'give up' on ever getting this story straight.

I'm at least happy that these two finally took their misinformation off the net, as these owners had requested a long time ago.

Again, we must just value 'different' things up here in MI. than some of the people that come to visit us.

John

Old 09-17-2002 | 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

I thought you left...?