Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Info on trails in Chequamegon National Forest, Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on riding in northren Wisconsin in Sept. and was wondering if anyone could suggest some trails and nice hotels/lodges to stay at. I am currently planning on hitting the Dead Horse Run trail and possibly the the Iron river and surronding trails. Has any one riddin these and have any suggestions or must hit trails? I am also wondering about the Flambeau Trail system, any body been there? How were the trails? Am I missing any other trails that you think are better? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P.S. Any great places to eat or stop at along the trails?

Old 08-29-2002, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will LOVE Iron River area,trail access from hotels in town,lots of nice camping areas,BEAUTIFUL tree lined trails,long fireroads to wind out the speed demons,twisty trails for the sightseers. My son and I have gone the last 3 years to Tri Lake Timbers campground,2 miles from Iron River,trail access from campsites,and a place in the woods call Open 26,a big sand hill play area that will keep the family entertained climbing,racing and spinning in the deep sand. If you have gas cans and half a day to kill, making the Valhalla loop is a hoot,about 60 miles all the way around the Chequamegon,every type of trail imaginable,dirt,mud,narrow,wide,rocks,steep hills,rolling one lanes with trees blocking out the sun,wide open roads,you name it.

Oops, almost forgot,the only place to eat/get gas on the Valhalla loop is the Valhalla station on the east side of the Chequamegon forest,and the camp office/bar and grill at Tri Lake Timbers.

Old 08-30-2002, 02:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

95wolv, Thanks for the reply. I notice you are from Minnesota, are there any must hit trails up there? Last year I was up to the Red Top trail, are there any others that you would recommend? I plan on heading up that way in October.

Any one else been to the trails in northren Wisconsin or Minnesota?

Old 08-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm originally from Iowa,my folks still live in New Hampton, in the northeast corner of Iowa,but been living up here 18 years. As for other areas in MN,Spider Lake,about 24 miles north of Motley is a nice area to explore. Park Rapids is supposed to have a nice riding area, and this fall the Gilbert riding area,1200 acres,north of Duluth,is opening to the public. To be honest, I have found the trails in Wisconsin to be better maintained,more miles available, and a lot more ATV friendly. A sad thing for a Minnesotan to say,but lately the DNR has been caving in to the tree huggers and closing and limiting a lot of access to riding areas. I just got back from Spider Lake,the gravel pit play area right where you come in has been closed off,a pity,it had a mini motocross track my son loved to play on,and was a nice area to park and let the little guys run around. But I'm sure there are lots of other areas to ride,check some web sites,like the DNR for MN, I think there is a riding area not too far from Rochester,MN, not real big, but a close ride for you. Good luck on whatever area you choose, and have fun.