Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Wild Wash This Weekend (Oct 19)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Calif.-Wild Wash This Weekend (Oct 19)

A local dealership (HYR in Redlands) is sponsoring a ride at Wild Wash, off the I-15 between Victorville and Barstow on Saturday. Just get off the freeway at the Wild Wash Exit, and turn left. Go about half a mile, and there will be a large flat area you can stage from. Driving past on the freeway, this area doesn't look like much, but once you get back there it is pretty nice. Nice scenery, and lots of old mines to explore. You can camp overnight, or come for the day.

They mark out a course (usually 35-50 miles), and I always particularly enjoy it because the guys who lay it out usually make it pretty technical (more like a trail ride than an open desert ride, but not so bad that an intermediate rider can't enjoy it). If you have not ridden this area, come join us (even if you are not an HYR customer). This is a good way to explore a new riding areas, without getting yourself hopelessly lost!! The course is usually still marked Sunday morning, if you can't make it on Saturday.

There is also lots of riding for beginners and the kids around the staging area, so bring them along too!!

Old 10-17-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks YZGUY. I always enjoy your So. Cal. posts. I will be at Glamis!! yee hawww.

Old 10-17-2002, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, that sounds like alot of fun. I wish I could make it down there. Already got plans to go to hollister.

Old 10-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmm.Maybe i'll show up.Im only 15 minutes away and havn't rode in razor sharp lava rocks in a while! lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Will my Rancher 4x4 be suitable for this ride or would I be holding everyone up? Haven't ever gone to this type of get together before as I just purchased it. Thanks, Barry

Old 10-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Oldtimer-The ride was last weekend (19th). I took both the 4X4 Rancher and the 400EX, and decided that I would be holding everybody back if I rode the Rancher. I had just put on new tires (Holeshot ATR), and wanted to try them out. So, I rode the EX. But, while everybody else was eating lunch, I took the Rancher out to some old mines and ran around in some real technical stuff-it was a blast.

We rode about 100 miles!! In the morning, we rode the HYR course. There was another group (Conejo Trail Riders-mostly dirt bikers) out there too, and they had two courses of their own marked. So, in the afternoon we rode their course with about 35 of their dirt bikes (we were the only quads). It was great!! WE HUMILIATED THEM ON ALL THE TOUGH, TECHNICAL CLIMBS!! Their skinney tires would just dig holes, and they would get stuck and have to lay down their bikes, while we would go breezing by (and do a wheelie as we passed them!!). Most of my dirt bike friends think of a quad as "a bike for the wife or kids", but not for serious riders. I think it was a real eye opener for them!!

Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Oldtimer
Will my Rancher 4x4 be suitable for this ride or would I be holding everyone up? Haven't ever gone to this type of get together before as I just purchased it. Thanks, Barry
You shouldn't have any problem out there as far as riding.The sharp rocks are killer on tires.Don't be suprized if you ruin one.

I didn't get out there this weekend.My friend bought a new green Kawazuki 400.Spent all day at Chapparrall saturday.

Sunday we went riding and besides us old people we had some of the neighbor kids tagging along,one kid has a Rm-125 and we wern't sure how far he could go on a tank of gas.

We all live in south Apple Valley or south Hesperia,Stoddard Valley is only about 15 miles as the crow flies but 35 or so for us on bikes since we have to go around Apple valley and out through Lucerne Valley to get there w/o being hassled.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response. I can't believe I didn't notice the date was last weekend but yet again, I can. LOL I'll have to check out the Conejo Trail Riders as they are close to me. Others may look at the quad for women and children but if I'm going to go out by myself, the chance of getting hurt compared to riding my KLX is far less and if I do, I would have a better chance to get back to camp with out help. One time I crashed on my KLX and injured my leg and I couldn't start the bike by my self. Electric start on the quad is a nice feature. Besides, I'm enjoying riding the quad and looking forward to some of the famous trails around the country like the Rubicon trail in CA/NV. and the Pioute trail in UT.