Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

big horn mountains,wyoming??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big horn mountains,wyoming??

Has anyone ever been atv riding in bighorns, I always go snowmobiling there over winter. but would like to try 4 wheelin in summmer, any info would be great.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I've never ridden there but there seems to be a lot of riding from what I could see when I drove through there. One thing to remember is that Wyoming now has an OHV program that was started last year. So to ride there you'll need an OHV sticker purchased in Wyoming since they DO NOT honor other states OHV stickers. Do a search for wyoming OHV and you'll find the info - I can't remember where it is off hand.

Old 03-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

vmaxer:
We have been back in Nevada a few years, but when we were living in Gillette we would go to Story, Wyoming to ride. The trail head for the Penrose trail is there, if I rember right the elevation is around 5900-6000' to start and goes up from there, we camped at Willow Park Res, 9200' there. We would spend the weekend fishing riding and being lazy. You can ride to the boundry of the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area and Cloud Peak Res at a elevation of 10,000'. The trail is shared with mountain bikes, motorcycles, horses, and hikers, so respect for each others means of transportation is of the utmost importance. The National Forest Service had a great map that shows what areas are open for motorized travel, I'm sure it is still available.
If you elect to ride in the Big Horns, it is a given, that you will ding your wheel rims on the rocks, so before you hit the trail take off the chrome or alluminum rims. By all means take fishing gear with you, bait, spinning, or fly rod all of the streams have good fishing. As my grandson says "Fresh caught fish and fried 'taters & onions cooked on the Geen Cooker Thing (Coleman Stove) are as good as it gets."
Hope this helps.
Les