Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Clayton Oklahoma ORV area Closed???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to a 4X4 Jeep driving friend and he was telling me that the riding area in Clayton has been closed.
He said that they have new owners and that they do not want anyone riding there.
Anybody else hear this?
I have not been there yet and was looking forward to it but it looks like I might not be able to go now.

Take it Light

Old 04-26-2000, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Please keep us posted on this subject. I too was looking forward to going riding there in the near future. This will be a shame if its true, this place sounds like a great area from the descriptions Ive read.

Old 04-27-2000, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

I was there earlier this month and nothing was closed at that time. To my understanding this is Government land.. The area known as Honobia Creek requires a permit that you can buy at the same places that you buy a hunting license. I think the land was managed by the Weyerhauser Co. for logging and they may close certain areas while logging in them. There were about 5 Jeeps there the weekend I went and I spoke with a local and he didn't mention anything.

Tel. # 1-918-569-7981 this is to the Lake Clayton State Park which is just a couple of miles from the Honobia (pronounced H0-No-Be) Creek area. The Honobia Creek area is approx. 60,000 acres and if they closed a portion of this there would still be more riding area than you could cover in a week.

The weekend I went I drove right up to the gate of the Honobia Creek area. I did not go in there because I didn't buy the permit. We rode for two days on some land outside of the park area. When we spoke to the locals we were heading back to load up and come home, that was when they informed us that the best ridding was in the park area...So next time I am buying the permit.. Also, there is a place to ride that is right outside of town along a river, another place that the locals told me about.

...I just spoke with a man that lives there and he told me that it is not closed as far as he knows and wouldn't know why it would be...

I hope to have the pictures posted from my ride real soon...
JUST POSTED TWO PICTURES OF A THE HILL CLIMB IN CLAYTON..04/28/00