Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ran my raptor against a gas gas 300 and a new kawi 700 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran my raptor against a gas gas 300 and a new kawi 700 today

i will have to agree with you that 175-180 mains is big but all i can tell you is that from top to bottom my raptor runs great.i definitely want to hear other peoples opinions about performance mods and what works for them but on the other hand i have to go with what works for me but thanks for the input anyway.
I am glad you took that the right way![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I didn't want to sound like a jerk or anything.

What kind of airfilter set-up do you have? I see its a Pro Design, but is it foam or K&N, lid or not? What I am getting at is I found the two clamp-on K&Ns to be a VERY big help for me, just a suggestion or opinon.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

ward- i am runnning the pro design foam filter and( no lid ) which is what i prefer for sand but that is just my preference.i am the kind of person that is always trying to find a way to achieve cheap reliable power so i may some day try the k&n filter but for now the foam is working well for me.i am considering putting a dyna ignition on my raptor but so far i have not had much feedback on how much of an improvement it would make so until i hear more on the dyna i think will hold off on that. can you elaborate on the improvement the k&n filters made on your raptor as compared to the foam filter?

Old 05-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

On ignitions, I havent seen a Dyna yet but I did witness a Vortex on a DS 650 and that definitely did make a difference. I dont know how well they will work out for the Raptor but keep an ear out, I'm sure reports will surface soon.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ward660R

But with that being said and NOT trying to be a knowitall or anything, honestly, I think your are probably running pretty rich too. 175/180 are some pretty big jets for no cam or port work, IMHO.
Thanks again for the report.
I run the same jets and im stock bore. Well i have a cam now I might go up some. I think its jsut the Oregon Dunes that require huge jetting. Maybe a really high amount of Oxygen in the air? Everyone with raptors here needs much higher jetting than required. Ask the local Yamaha shop in North Bend (best yamaha dealer i have ever been too, they actually know something) They were the ones that told me to jump to 175,180 when i was told to go with 150 155 from Alba. They know nothing.

Back to the race, I say those quads are damn fast seeing as they are stock. He is probably pushing 50 hp with his raptor and has a +4 swing arm. The Gas Gas is like 44hp stock, and who knows on the Kawasucki. He almost should have beat them by more. Just shows how good of bikes they are. He is pretty heavy though.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the response on the dyna ignition mr45auto i cant seem to find too many people that know much about them.i am a little leary about spending 400.00 for a ignition system but if it increases power by at least 2 or 3 hp. then i may give it a try. RIZNAPTOR- the kawasaki had dual aftermarket pipes and i think that made quite a difference for him.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

The GasGas is a *power valve* 300cc dinger with some fairly mild ports from the factory. Just wait until people start grinding on the ports then they will be in the highly modded 250r range. I think they are pretty neat bikes and GasGas has been around quite awhile.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Let me give you a breif history on my intake setup.
Right out of the box I bought the muffler, I was told no head pipe was made yet, left jets stock.
Then added the head pipe and Pro Flow with the foam filter and cut out the flaps in the intake. With this I went with the DJ kit. I had one heck of a time trying to tune it in right!!!!! I don't think that it was ever 100% right.
I then decided to take off the lid, it helped some, but still, even with jetting changes, it wasn't just right.
I then modded my air box (compltely cut it off from around the flange) and added two K&Ns to the Pro Flo aluminum flange, yancked the DJ jets out, and went with stock Minkunis. The first try jetting those I saw an increase in power out put. After the second or third "tweek" I felt it was extrmely close to perfect. It gave me alot more throttle response and alot more power over what I had before. Now weather this was due to the state of tune or not I can't say.

I felt more gain from those two filters and jetting than I did with anything before it!

On the ignition, I think I saw where 14mins was doing some dyno runs (44 of them) and only gained .75 HP from the ignition. I still think it would be neat to be able to play with the timing. I would have a tough time trying to decide between the two, Vortex or DYNA. I also think it might help a non-cammed motor more, but that is just my opinon.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

it's kinda funny how everybody thinks thier particular quad is the fastest. There are many factors and levels of modification. Personally I think the Vforce is still in it's infancy. Everybody is still trying to figure out jetting, paddles, etc and there's not a lot to choose from right now for the 700. Next year you'll see people extracting a lot of power out of that engine. The fact that it can even compete with a Raptor or Gas gas 300 is a good sign for a 530lb shaft driven quad. And for the record the seat height is 1/2" shorter than a Raptor so it can corner like a sport quad.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Guys don't mean to butte in on your discussions but have you guys seen many z400's in the sand? Do they do at least o.k. and how do they compare to a 400ex? I'm pretty sure how they'd do against modded raptors and ds's but I was wondering how they were with something more in their power range? Thanks for any info.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen the Z in sand. It works suprisingly well. Alot quicker than stock 400ex's. Gave my piped rappy hell for about 30ft, then I blew by him. Of course the 686 doesnt have any problem with them at all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyhow the Z400's are a great machine. I have yet to see any local riders complain about their machine.

Quick Reply: ran my raptor against a gas gas 300 and a new kawi 700 today