Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor valve adjustment?

I just bought a 03 Raptor from the local dealer about 3 weeks ago. And when I bought it the salesman told me that I should take it back to them after about 25 to 30 hours of ride time to have the valves adjusted, and that it would cost me around $130 for that. Now is that something that has to be done cause they tried to get more money out of me for extra crap I didn't need and I feel they might be tryin to do it again. any input is welcome!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

You should learn to do it yourself. The first time is kind of tricky and the exhaust valves are never easy but it's not a whole lot more complicated than changing the oil. There is an on-line Raptor manual on one of these forums if you have a high speed connection. If not, you can buy one on ebay pretty cheap. Most folks recommend adjusting the valves every 20 hours and I wouldn't go much more than that for the first adjustment and oil change.

Old 05-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto

Old 05-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you bought the Extended Service Plan with your Rappy, then the first time service needs to be completed by the dealer to keep your plan good. If something fails and they don't have a record of your first service, then they can say the service plan is void and there goes all the money you paid for it!! After the dealer does the first service, then you can do all the rest of the servicing yourself. I just had my wifes Rappy serviced...$128.00. I'm glad I only had to do that one time!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The worst part is, you pay for an extended service. It should at the very least pay for the first check up. ie, valves, oil change. They want what $600 fopr this extended service plan. And then they turn around and charge you for the "what they say" is a required 10 hour service. Bullsh!t

Old 05-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't get the extended service plan. I didn't feel it was worth it cause I plan to do some mods and I know that if something went wrong yamaha would say it was something I did wrong. I downloaded the repair manual and plan to do it myself. Where can I get the tappet adjusting tool that they say is necessary for ajusting the valves? Also, when I change the oil it says to drain the crankcase and the oil tank. Then put oil in the oil tank and start the engine. My question is does it suck the oil out of the tank into the engine when you start it, cause the last thing I want to do is start the engine without oil!!!!

Old 05-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

actually adjusting your valves is easy. Just remove the plastics, and tank. You'll see the valve tappet covers after you remove the rubber corset under the tank. Get the bike to TDC (I) through the little spy hole in the flywheel cover, and remove the exhaust covers (2) i think it's a 17 mm, and that plate on the top (5mm allen wrench) and you'll see the 3 tappets for the intake.and the exhaust under there covers on teh front. Call your shop, and they'll give you specs and get some feller gauges, bend the tips to like a 45 deg angle and feel it out. if there outta adj, use a 10mm wrench to losten teh jams, and use needle nose plairs to adj. PM me if you need valve lash specs because i got a manual....it's actually easer than I make it out to be ...once your doing it, it's very easy, and i think you'll find that its mostlyy the intakes that move anyhow which is the easiest to adjust!!! oh, and it's a 10mm bolt to losten the tappet jam nut. You'll see though. IF you need more info, I can e-mail you the page from the yamaha repair manual if you need, it'll tell you basically what i just did, only nicer, and it gives feeler lash specs!

Old 05-25-2003, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

does every rappy owner adjust or have their valves adjusted? what does this do for the engine??? thanks

Old 05-25-2003, 04:52 AM
Pro Rider

adjust your own valves....if i can...you can. I believed them when the told me the valves were 'bucket and shim' and paid the bucks. it ran the same when i got it back even tho i was somewhat lighter.
I adjusted my valves on my own last time and it runs better! makes me wonder if they even touched them...

basic tools, and get a manual....its actually really easy.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

yeah, every owner should have them adjusted espically when new because the valve tends to wear in, and make too much lash, meaning that the valves don't open as much as they could, which loses power, alot of times it's only teh 3 intakes that need adj, but you can hear a tapping if there out of adjustment

Quick Reply: Raptor valve adjustment?