Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Assuming I dont want to use yamaha-lube. What kinda oil should I use? (edited)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003 | 12:53 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Assuming I dont want to use yamaha-lube. What kinda oil should I use?

Anything I can get at like autozone or something? TIA[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] (I'm talking about for an oil change. Not the pre mix oil for the gas.)

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ive always run Golden Spectro in any 2 stroke that I own. Great stuff

Old 05-26-2003 | 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Klots is some good stuff. Gotta love the smell too.

Old 05-26-2003 | 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

I've been using Mobil-1 synthetic racing iol in mine and it runs like a dream. better than alotta the other crap out there. but mines a four stroke, i don't know about you. Hope that helps... later

Old 05-26-2003 | 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

There is so many good choices in a pre mix oil.Ive used Redline,Yamalube,Amsoil,and currently am using Maxima Super M.Take your pick they are all good.
late,zubbeyboy

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Assuming I dont want to use yamaha-lube. What kinda oil should I use? (edited)

Synthetics can cause clutch slippage. Also, it's better not to use oils that have addatives in them for the same reason.

Look on the back and you will see a little "seal". It'll be a circle that says API SERVICES SJ/CF and then a smaller circle that says SAE 20W-50 (or whatever kind of oil it is... 20w-50 just happens to be what I run in my bike), and on the bottom it might say "Energy Conserving". If it has the Energy conserving addatives in it, it could cause clutch slippage. It would be better to find some kind that doesn't have the "EC" in it.

I use Valvoline DuraBlend synthetic blend (not completely synthetic) 20W-50 in my bike (4-stroke, YZ 250F) and it seems to work well. Really, any oil will work well if you change the oil on regular basis and don't let it turn black... when you drain the oil, it should look like it could have handled a few more rides on it. Basically, a good rule of thumb.... Push your quad to it's limits, but not the oil and air filter. That is the heart, lungs, and blood of the bike/quad and if you don't run that to it's limits, it will allow your bike to run top notch for as long as possible.

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Assuming I dont want to use yamaha-lube. What kinda oil should I use? (edited)

Yamalube 20w40 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If not that then Havoline.

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lat, were talking about tranny oil boss.

Try to shy away from synthetics as like the other guy said it can cause slippage and premature wear. Run a 20w50 and your blaster should be fine. I run the honda stuff

Old 05-26-2003 | 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
Lat, were talking about tranny oil boss.

My Bad......Thanks Beech.
late,zubbeyboy

Old 05-26-2003 | 04:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

anytime chief

Quick Reply: Assuming I dont want to use yamaha-lube. What kinda oil should I use? (edited)