Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Off topic but important to question for summer camping

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off topic but important to question for summer camping

Does Ice last longer in a cooler if the water is drained or left in ??? Last weekend was really hot and this generated a pretty good debate - a scientific test is in the works but I'd like to hear from the experts......

Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Im an expert on this topic, I have been researching for the last 6 years every memorial day weekend and have gotten my ice consumption down to almost nil while beer consumption has tripled..

35gal cooler with "half-lid"
30 lbs of ice
2 x 30 pack of bud

The half lid coolers will keep ice the best, I have found that when getting a beer every 10 minutes its best to have a half lid cooler (tiny lid on one side to get beer faster and quicker without letting out so much coolness)

I dont drain my water near as much as I used to and it seems my ice keeps longer - 5 days ( I could go 6 or 7 days with beer alone) . with 2 30 packs of already cold bud on the bottom 30 lbs of ice on top and food laying on top of the ice is the best configuration I have found aswell.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with 007....We used to drain the water, but found keeping the water in keeps the beer, soda's, whatever!! colder longer. So keep the water in. (unless you plan to move the cooler around a lot and have extra ice easily available). Happy Camping!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

speaking of coolers, I was listening to a local outdoors show on the radio and they did a cooler test. The cheaper Coleman coolers(48 quart?) and some of the more expensive coolers were cut in half with a power saw. The cheaper coolers use air as the only insulation. IF you want to keep the Bud cold longer, invest in a more expensive cooler that uses actual insulation.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

...point well taken......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have 3 stainless Coleman coolers and they will keep ice frozen, beers and food cold 3 times longer than regular ones. And they are easier for one person to carry. They are $100 each but I got them on sale during the winter.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Keep the water in there. Water is slower to change temperature than air. Higher density material=slower temp changes.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

I just got one of the five day coolers from Coleman.......That thing keeps ice like nobodys business.
We always leave the water in for the most part.....another thing that helps is block ice! One block at the bottom really helps keep the temp down. Also keep your cooler in the shade or cover it with a blanket to make the ice last longer.

Shane

Old 05-29-2003, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

I hauled ICE for a few years. Everyone loves the Iceman on a hot summer day. Keep the water in the cooler. Keep the cooler in the shade, throw a blanket or towel over it. Keep foods in air tight good bags, so as not to get soggy. Naturally the quality of the cooler will make a big difference. As you empty the cooler and have more room repack it newspapers or anything to take up the voids. This will lessen dead air space, which does not need to be cooled and waste the efforts of the ice. Block ice is the best save the money and make your own out of sour cream containers and such. Now if you really want to keep your frosty's frosty for a long time. Get thin sliced dry ice and line the bottom of the cooler then ice on top of that. You'll have some cold beers then. Just watch out it will freeze if kept closed up too long. Happy Camping