Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Horsepower numbers for the 686 kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horsepower numbers for the 686 kits

Originally posted by: KingRaptor
There are no whoops on Banshee Hill and he still pulled away at the top. Ben has a full Craycraft head port job. Nevertheless the point is that in the WORST case the Trinity is similar to Craycraft. That is actual hill running when one rider is on a pump gas motor from Trinity and the other a race gas high compression Craycraft ported head. Point is simple. Both bikes are very fast, so you cannot lose with either.

Originally posted by: sixsixT
KRaptor I don't think Ben had Craycraft porting I think he did it himself and was a stock bore. But I'm not totally sure of that.
WARD660R Posted: Feb 25 2003, 06:19 AM

Range Rover

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Like Velocity said earlier, this isn't a slam on Trinity just my observation.

At FSW I got a chance to look at a Pro-Port Trinity head, all five larger valves. This is the best they offer, right??? Anyway I was VERY disapointed to say the least. All I have heard is how Trinity is the best when talking about Raptor port work. What I saw was nothing special, at all. Some of you know I did my own P&P, for the ones that don't you do now. The head I saw I really only consentrated on looking at the intake side. The work I did, which I would really consider a VERY LIGHT port job, was so close to the Trinity head you couldn't tell the differance. Like I said this is just the intake side but....you get the idea.

Anyway just thought I would spread the wealth.

Old 05-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point is simple. Both bikes are very fast, so you cannot lose with either.
Go to Bikeworx so we have something new to talk about [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2003, 01:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I was just stating observations from being around both. To me the ohtin dyno read a little high but it did for all. Dyno jet dynos read low to me from the ones that i have seen and been on. I bought my first trinity 686 based off threads like this. I wanted 63 plus hp and payed for it. I jetted it right and got 44. The head was medicore at best. I guess it just depends on who ports it on any given day at Trinity. When you go to Sparks, Mickey Dunlop or Craycraft you know who does the porting and they are all the same. The down fall to my trinity motor was the pro-port, they kill the compression ratio when they gut the chamber. I took my original trinity 686 and put a 12-1 piston in and a web 736/736 and picked up a few hp. (about 45 on a dyno jet) I gave crafty my 686/687 cam and the 102 mm piston from the trinity motor. Bob ported his head and then kicked my butt with the parts i gave him. lol I know that some of the newer trinity's are much faster than the older ones. I guess they are getting better. All this talk of monster numbers is amuzing to me. I have decided that if you break 50 hp on a dyno jet dyno you can run with anyone in 300 feet on the same fuel. If trinity had produced a higher hp number for me i would still have it. You do lots of modifing when the dragstrip is at your house. I have seen a few that had trinity motors dump them and start over. That says all are not happy. As the king has stated let the builder know what you want and get it in wriiting.

Air- I spend a lot of time tweaking on my motor. after glamis we did 100 hours dyno testing for mbrp and i made 48 runs with mine. Picked up 4 more hp over 48 runs doing things different. I added the 685 cam last week and it picked up a huge margin. I went from 195/200 mains to drilling them to 7/64's. It has a screaming top end know and i need to have the dyno back out. We have a large group of built quads that show up weekly here and it is easy to see what helped and what did not. Everytime we go some where we try to learn and be faster. A lot of our group went to extended swingarms after FSW's. We thought we did not need them. lol Everyone has pretty much knocked 4 tenths off the 660 time with the swingarm alone. The racing got a lot better. Quads launching at 7000 rpms is fun to watch and play. If you can give up some cruising around the 685 will make the stage 2 look like a moped. The stage 2 is a better all aroundd cam but the 685 will get you there a lot faster. That cam would make a huge difference running the hill at Glamis. I think sparks was running a cam close to that, no wonder everyone was behind them.

Back to the question. You got to ask, ask and ask questions before you build your motor. If they tell you 63hp or 70 ask what dyno.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

sixsixT they are talking about a different Ben. The Ben they are talking about does have a Craycraft head. He is from CA or AZ one.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

I'm confused...are you comparing a stock bore bike to a 686? I would hope there would be more than a 1.8 hp difference.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

2, 2 much

Old 05-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

j/k, i dont know