Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior not running right. help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:29 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Warrior not running right. help please

My friend has an early 90's warrior in excellent condition(stock tires barely worn and you know how they last). He picked it up for 1500 a month or so ago. It ran good when he got it and lasted for about 2 weeks. After then it would cut out once in awhile and he eventually noticed a crack in the rubber piece connecting the carb and motor. He replaced that and now it still cuts out. It starts and idles ok. Theres no smoke at all. He tried spraying wd40 and checking for air leaks in that region but didnt find any and even tried sealing the rubber boot with oil when he put it on. The air filter is decent, the plug is tight, the plug wire isnt rubbing anything, and the gas is new. Let me know what you think it is, thanks for any help.

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

tyler33,

sounds like the carb might be fouled up or dirty. It wouldn't hurt to pull it off and at least clean it out with gumout, if you need more detailed instructions, check on some of the earlier forums, under carb problems, or timing? At least this would rule the carb out, though I had similar problems with my 87 Warrior and I cleaned out the carb and it was fixed. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:48 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok, i know he sprayed some kind of cleaner in there but he did plan on takin it apart and cleaning it. I have some more questions for warrior owners. How do you disconnect the throttle from the carb? also, how do you adjust the shifter height? We tried to take the linkage off of the grooved shift shaft but it wouldnt come all the way off.

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

there's a black cover plate on the shifter side, take out the six phillips screws and pop off the plate, and the throttle cable will be there. after you disconnect that, youll have to pull the little sleeve back where the linkage goes into the carb, then loosen the connection there and it should be readt to pull out.

Old 06-02-2003 | 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

as for the shifter height I'm not sure, hopefully someone will reply to that, cuz I might have to do that sometime.

Old 06-02-2003 | 04:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok thanks alot. My bro used to have a warrior but i dont know too much about them. Do you have your rear wheels flipped around? It makes the quad noticably wider and protects your valve stems when sliding.

Old 06-02-2003 | 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

I'll have to try that out. You learn something new every day!

Old 06-02-2003 | 04:15 PM
|
Trailblazer

Well i think im gonna go try and get it runnin right. I think youll like it with the wheels flipped, looks more aggressive.

Old 06-02-2003 | 06:37 PM
Range Rover

What all do you have to do to flip the wheels around? I know that may sound dumb but is it pretty straightforward? Anyone have any good pics (before & after)?

tia

Old 06-03-2003 | 02:40 AM
|
Trailblazer

Just put something under the rear end to hold the tire off the ground and take the 4 lug nuts off, flip the tire around, then put the lugnuts back on, there are washers also i think. Do that to both sides and there you go, 3-4 inches wider.

Quick Reply: Warrior not running right. help please