Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! my 03 blaster is brand new and my transmission locked up on me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! my 03 blaster is brand new and my transmission locked up on me!!

Ok, so I don't know... I had a blaster that I smoked a tooth on the 2nd gear, it'd still shift fine but when you hit second it wouldnt do anything you'd have to skip to 3rd, never locked up though.

So get on the thing, pull the clutch and turn it on, rock it back and forth while constantly trying to shift, remember its already broken or stuck so in reality you aren't going to hurt much, worst case scenerio you sheered a tooth (doubtful) second worse senerio you bent the shift fork (takes force to do this and you'd probally know) 3rd worse case scenerio its a stupid yamaha tranny and its sticky, I'm going to opt for the 3rd. So pull the clutch start it up and rock it back and forth while you are on the machine trying to shift it, do it constantly and do it hard, you'r not going to hurt anything that isnt hurt already. Also try slipping your clutch a little while you are doing it, be aware as it might catch. Do NOT hit it, just rock it back and forth HARD while shifting, try pushing it down into first a LITTLE harder then try shifting up WHILE rocking the machine, key is to rock the machine same time you are shifting. If it still does not work then it very well could be #1 or #2 worse case scenerio. Every yamaha I've ever ridden has had a 'funny' tranny, expesically the sport machines, you'll get use to rocking while shifting, expesically into neutral when the engine is warm. Happened to me at least 5 times today when pulling to a stop in 6th, just rock it and it'll catch, don't hit the thing with anything though.

Also the clutch is a wet clutch, it will catch if the machine hasnt been run, start it up and the clutch won't stick anymore.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and do you do regular maintance? My advice is keep it CLEAN, you'r buddies will give you s#it but you'll be riding when they are fixing. Dirt wears stuff QUICK. Keep it clean and it WILL last longer. And for god sakes let that thing breathe once and a while, I know its a 2stroke and its fun to keep it pinned but bog it and blurp it every couple seconds, should last forever. I never hold it open for more than 5 seconds, let off and blurp it again, never had a problem with any of my 2 strokes (except the polaris because they SUCK and they trick you into thinking you are actually RIDING) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Take my advice, and do not get rid of the oil injection unless you do motor work or need to re-jet, odd's are you'll blow it up from the wrong pre-mix then the injector going bad. Rumors fly and suposidly the blasters oil injection is PRONE for failure, not true, the only thing that makes them fail is how you ride it.

Old 06-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

there's only one problem with starting it and rocking it. my clutch doesn't relieve the gear ! i pull the clutch in and it still wont roll, and when i try to start it when the clutch in it lurches forard. this sucks pickles, but thanks for your comments

Old 06-14-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

how about if you take the chain off and then try and kick it over? at least youll know if its the tranny or if the engine is seized.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Jump start it!! turn the key and switch on, pull the clutch, push it Fast jump on and drop the clutch.

It wouldnt lurch forwards if the engine was siezed.

Try rocking the h#ll out of it when its off if you can't get it started, you never know...

May be your clutch cable is messed up or not working, track it down from the lever to the case. Look at the arm messed up? Mabe you smoked the clutch or something failed? Do you take off slow and drag the clutch or drop it fairly quick?

Old 06-15-2003, 12:31 AM
RIP Dear Friend

crispy,

I would remove that from below your ICON.

charles city, Virginia

The dealer might have or will read this thread in your local and will be waiting for you and he will have a sign in the window claiming abuse on 03 blaster.

J/K

Old 06-15-2003, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

it wont go back in by rocking it, it wont roll foward with the clutch in, and i can't start it. do you think that it's the tranny or the engine that's siezed? what would cause the engine to sieze up? and do you think the warranty will cover this b.s.??

Old 06-15-2003, 11:08 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: crispy
and do you think the warranty will cover this b.s.??
Of course unless there is something you have held back in the information department. I would get it back to the dealer as soon as possible because blaster transmissions are fool proof, so this is very odd.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

If I was you I wouldn"t even bother with all this banging it around b.s.. Because there is obviously something wrong with it and if you do get to start working and take it to the dealer they are probably going to send you on your way. It is better to take it to them with the problem at its worst. Kinda like when you take your car to the shop and all of a sudden that noise or vibration will suddenly go away. Makes it a lot harder to pinpoint. Just my 2cents.