Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly tires vs. Power loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly tires vs. Power loss

I dont own a grizz but i have seen some tires in action that you might want to consider.

1- ITP 589 M/S
2- Maxxis Big Horn
3- Dirt Devils XT
4- GBC Gators

maybe you shoudl go ITP`s on the back and ATR`s in front. Hope this helps

Old 06-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ATR's are ITP's.

But I know what you mean. Gators are out of the question. They are a wanna-be mudtire. Basically, lesser of a tire than the big mud tires, and not really that great for other stuff (in comparison with an all terrain tire like a 589). I never did like 589's just cause everyone here has them thinking they are a great mud tire, then they get showed up by those with Claws (which are the most under-rated mud tire on the market). Bighorns are a likely candidate. I'll wait for 26's on those. ATR's are just as likely, and so are the Carlisle Badlands. I don't like the XT dirt devil, but I like the smaller ones. They are heavy, but for the money, they are a very good choice.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

WANNA BE MUD TIRE?? Gators are not, they are great in the mud. also nice on sand and dry terrain. A friend has the titan 589s and we are going to test both tires this weekend in a mud pit we found. We both own grizzlys one a 2002 and other 2004 . Let you know how it goes

Old 07-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah, I probably shouldn't have put it that way. What I was thinking is that Gators fall in there with 589's, Mud Bugs, and Mud Runners in that 2nd tier mud tire category. Basically, not as good of a mud tire as Claws, Zillas, Vamps, or Laws, but still do pretty good (and a lot better than all terrain tires could dream). But they also do better on trails than the major mud tires. Although neither Mud Bugs or Gators have a tread pattern that is really great for dirt.

If you have Gators, I would suspect you will do better than 589's. They are a good all around tire with some mud capability, but they aren't a mud purpose tire. I remember watching a Rubicon with Radial Outlaws spin around in this hole for a while and never get through, finally worked it around and backed out. Next Rubi went in with 589's and that guy got ticked off and spun like hell and jumped around all over the racks, and eventually came out the side of the hole (3 wheel motion big time too). Then my buddy with the Claws went through, and just bogged right on through and out the other side. Some cat asked him "what kind of tires do you got there?", and he answered "the right kind". A joke that we used sometimes. When I had my Claws on my AC500, they were awesome in mud. It would just keep churning through stuff like crazy. I haven't ever taken my Grizz into it, and probably never will, so the tires are basically worthless to me. I'd rather not screw up the 660 in the mud. Its fun, but I hate cleaning that crap out of every crevice in the bike, and I don't care to screw it up. I'll just be content as a spectator or maybe someday buy an older quad and make a mud runner out of it.