Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ top speed of 74 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ top speed of 74 mph

Originally posted by: mudslinger400z
A stock raptor is around 74.5mph and a stock raptor is close to 76mph. There's always going to be variations from one quad to another and the terrain you're on, if you going sligtly uphill or sligtly downhill, the wind even has an affect if you've got a strong wind at your back.
Crap I think I meant a banshee will do about 76mph.

Old 07-14-2003, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigScary
Originally posted by: RuckusRacing
oh and BTW the Predators like 15 pounds lightier than a Raptor when you weigh them wet.
bu!!$h!t!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats no bullcrap. That was even posted in one of the mags. The Predator still weighs less wet than the Raptor.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: daimon1054
OK sorry but who cares? I can gear up the Banshie to run 100 but it would be unridable except on black top and at top speed. This bike is about acceleration, getting the power to the ground and working in rough terain. No MX quad will do more than about 50 when they are geared to race.
TOTSPEED 101 = You can not gear a machine too go as fast as you want.....the machine must make enough power too PULL THE GEARING too obtain a higher peak speed.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:28 AM
cop
Pro Rider

Well Gary, Bombarier geared a STOCK DS650 Baja to go 100 mph. The Baja was the official pace "car" at a nascar busch series race sponsored by Bombardier. Now I know that bottom end was non-existent, but it shows that it can be done on certain machines. And by the way, the tires were changed but I can't remember what to.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cop
Well Gary, Bombarier geared a STOCK DS650 Baja to go 100 mph. The Baja was the official pace "car" at a nascar busch series race sponsored by Bombardier. Now I know that bottom end was non-existent, but it shows that it can be done on certain machines. And by the way, the tires were changed but I can't remember what to.
BAAAAAJAJAJAJAJAJA! I see you actually own a Baja.....not I understand why you posted that and believe it.

Old 07-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
Hey Ridley I am jumping in the 80-90 ft range and I do have some pretty cool pics and video but I don't have a way to get them posted. I don't even have my own computer. If I wasn't house sitting for my parents this week I wouldn't even be on the their computer right now.
Sorry, but if you don't have the proof, then I don't believe you. Prove it, then I'll give you my congrats. One thing I have learned though from racing all these years, is that alot of people can't tell 50 feet from 90 feet, and I bet you are one of them. People think these jumps are huge, then you actually measure them and they aren't shiz. remember peak to peak, not ten feet in front of the ramp and ten feet after the landing, lol. I bet you think something else is about 12 inches too, but it's not, lol
LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

A stock raptor is around 74.5mph and a stock raptor is close to 76mph. There's always going to be variations from one quad to another and the terrain you're on, if you going sligtly uphill or sligtly downhill, the wind even has an affect if you've got a strong wind at your back.
Crap I think I meant a banshee will do about 76mph.
I think that a stock banshee is slower than a stock rappy...........or the ones I raced were...??

Old 07-14-2003, 06:01 PM
cop
Pro Rider

Gary, Instead of quad patrol, it should be ignorant patrol because you are ignorant of the facts. This story was run in dirt wheels magazine about 10 or so months ago. I don't have the exact month but will get it for you as soon as I can. I don't actually own a Bomb yet because it is still on order so I really don't have a loyalty to Bombardier. I do however believe the story in dirt wheels, And it wasn't the April edition. The race was The Bombardier 400 Busch series. They had a nice write up and pictures of the DS650 pacing the race. They said the motor was stock. The only mods I believe were gearing and tires ( looked like something from TT racing ). I wouldn't have posted this If I hadn't seen it. I'm not some little kid who posts stupid things on this post to get attention. Bombardier also has undergeared the DS in order to meet the 78 mph agreement. The correct gearing on a DS should get it around 82-84 mph. That piece of info came right from techical service of the Bombardier themselves, though they won't for liability sake tell me what the gearing should be.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cop
Gary, Instead of quad patrol, it should be ignorant patrol because you are ignorant of the facts. This story was run in dirt wheels magazine about 10 or so months ago. I don't have the exact month but will get it for you as soon as I can. I don't actually own a Bomb yet because it is still on order so I really don't have a loyalty to Bombardier. I do however believe the story in dirt wheels, And it wasn't the April edition. The race was The Bombardier 400 Busch series. They had a nice write up and pictures of the DS650 pacing the race. They said the motor was stock. The only mods I believe were gearing and tires ( looked like something from TT racing ). I wouldn't have posted this If I hadn't seen it. I'm not some little kid who posts stupid things on this post to get attention. Bombardier also has undergeared the DS in order to meet the 78 mph agreement. The correct gearing on a DS should get it around 82-84 mph. That piece of info came right from techical service of the Bombardier themselves, though they won't for liability sake tell me what the gearing should be.
LOL...look who is mentioning ignorant? Apparantly you believe everything you read? Are you just getting into quads and still believe everything you read from a magazine is the gospel? Anyone with common "performance" atv knolwedge knows a 40-some horsepower, "heavier than everything else" sporty quad certainly is not going to do remotely 100 mph. There is no gearing that will take your "soon to be delivered" Baha too 100mph. Ask what gearing will take you too 100mph stock in the Bomb forum. I will no longer argue a point with someone that does'nt even own the quad.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Gary,

I also have an older issue of ATV Sport magazine with a racing section. When the the Bombardier DS650 Baja won the Baja 1000 it was completely STOCK with the exception of a FMF slip-on with taller gearing for the Desert race......... It was also clocked at 106MPH on radar in the sand........ SO...... THE RADARS DON'T LIE!!!!! I'm not sure exactly what issue it was but I have it at my house somewhere........ Is he still lying?

Quick Reply: YFZ top speed of 74 mph