Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gave up and ordered FCRs, have a few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave up and ordered FCRs, have a few ??s

i made the spacers myself out of tube steel(crush sleeves from a gm 12 bolt are perfect diam.)
right now i have foam clamp on filters, but i just ordered k&ns that will clamp on the back of the stock airboots.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want to sell you old carbs? Also I've heard using the velocity tubes helps the FCRs but I can't say for sure if this is true.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

If you shim the top motor mount out on the right side of the motor between the motor mount and the frame were the two bolts srew into the frame with two flat washers you will have the clearance you need to run the FCR'S. Later Slim

Old 07-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

sixsixT - I'm going to give my stock carbs to Bob Craycraft, he's working on some fixes for the stock carbs and maybe my donation will help someone that doesn't have the extra money for FCRs. That guy is ALWAYS there to answer questions, I can't give him enough props for service after the sale.

Slim660 - When I called yesterday to upgrade shipping, the Sparks tech told me the same thing as a fix for the FCR throttle housing. He said that some Raptors have a few mm of interference and others don't but a couple of extra washers on the cross bar will spread the frame enough to clear if my Raptor frame is on the narrow side. This struck me as odd since I expected the Yamaha frames to be robot welded, a few mm is quite a bit of slop for a mass production operation.

The Sparks tech and I discussed an aftermarket intake at length. He said that Sparks used to make one but they could never get the performance out of it due to the air flow having to bend. They quit making their own intake and now recommend the stock boot location and, if necessary, an adjustment to the mid pipe. Once the carbs show up (today!!), I'll see how much interference I have and take the mid pipe to a muffller shop to have it flattened accordingly. As long as the mid pipe isn't crushed or the transition from round to oblong isn't too drastic, I don't believe there will be any noticeable difference in performance. Of course, this is all speculation at this point, I'll post pics when I get everything buttoned up. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I am SO excited about getting this beast to run consistently.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

The Trinity manifold works great. You do have to match the ports with the head to get a good flow. The fcr's are worth every PENNY![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
sixsixT - I'm going to give my stock carbs to Bob Craycraft, he's working on some fixes for the stock carbs and maybe my donation will help someone that doesn't have the extra money for FCRs. That guy is ALWAYS there to answer questions, I can't give him enough props for service after the sale.
Good deal.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Got them installed yesterday, wow are they tight!! Only had a chance to play with idle and AF but they seem to have quite a bit more snap when I blip the throttle. The carbs came with the AF screws 1.5 turns out and they needed to go just a touch over 2 turns to return promptly back to idle after blipping the throttle. I hope this link works, I uploaded a bunch of install pics to imagestation. I should have a chance to ride later this afternoon and if I'm not too drunk by then, I'll post a report. Enjoy!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4289764209

Happy 4th of July to everyone!!

Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Had a chance to test out the 35mm FCRs yesterday, major improvement! They shipped from Sparks with the clips on the 4th (middle) needle grooves and I couldn't get past 3/4 throttle without the engine breaking up. Through a little trial and error, I ended up with the clips on the 2nd (from the top) needle grooves and it barely breaks up at the very, very top of the RPM range. I'm going to talk to Sparks next week about the main jets, it came with 145/148, and whether I should drop a main jet size to get back to the middle of the needle settings. I might try the needle for the smaller jet on the 2nd clip and the needle for the larger jet on the 1st clip this weekend just for grins.

No hesitation from idle, pulls HARD to the top end, and just a hint of breakup at the very top. You can't really feel the top end dropping off but you can sometimes hear it when someone else is riding. Now, my buddies think my Raptor has too much power. "How are you going to ride that thing when the front end won't stay on the ground!!??" I like it, well worth the money since I wasn't having any luck at all with the stock carbs. About an hour to get the FCRs running well compared to dozens of hours spent fiddling with the stock floats and needle valves.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ubetrun- Keep us informed of your final jetting specs. There are a lot of guys running around with FCR's not jetted correctly. I may break down one of these days and get a pair. I have ordered them in for others and.........