Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helmet or no helmet??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet or no helmet??

I have been getting a lot of emails/pm's about why i do not require people to wear them on my property. Here are the reasons:

1.) IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS if you do or do not wear one. I do not pay your bills. I did not raise you.
2.) Every fun thing in life is dangerous
3.) Liability issues. While it seems strange i have been told repeately in writing to not post or enforce rules. My insurance carrier will defend me in court if some one sues me. They claim there job is 100 times harder if i post rules and a accident happens.
4.) Why does this issue get strangers worked up??

Do you wear a helmet??

I do and don't. I do not wear one when i ride around the property, or when there is a small group at my house. I do wear one when i go ride other places or when more than 6 or 7 people are at my house. I do wear one when i am around new people that i have not ridden with before. My back is so screwed up it would probably be a relief to break my neck and die.

I require my kid to wear one when ever he gets on a quad. When he is 18 he can make that choice for himself. My wife does not wear one around the house either but does when we go elsewhere. (she never excedes a fast walking pace. lol)

While i wish everyone and myself would wear a helmet i am not a preacher. I will feel bad if you get hurt, i would feel worse if my rules made you injuries worse. I somethimes think i am nuts for letting strangers ride on my property. In this sue happy world you never know.

I follow this simple rule- ATV's are 100 percent safe when ridden properly. Only the rider controls the machine. The machine can not crash with out the help of the person behind the controls. When in unfamiliar terrian or enviorment wear a skid lid. Always pay attention to those around you.

That said you could get killed driving to your favorite riding area. To suffer and die of a head injury while driving to your spot would really suck. Why?? Cause your helmet would be beside you. Maybe we should wear helmets in our cars/trucks

We all know we should wear helmets, go to chuch, abstain from prematial sex, pay our bills on time, eat 3 healthy meals a day, do not smoke, do not drink-or drive, get 8 hours sleep a day etc. The list goes on and on.

If you wear a helmet why do you feel the need to preach to others??

If you do not wear a helmet why??

Old 07-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

I do not wear a helmet because it doesn't give me a full view of whats around me, i hate that... It also imparis my hearing.. I've never wore a helmet so when i do ride with one i fell really uncomfortable with it and that destracts me...

Hi... My names Scott.... and I haven't been to church in about 8 years, I drink/drive often, I smoke more often, I have premarital sex even more often , can't pay my bills on time anymore, eat 6 times a day, and only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep each night, and oh yes...... * tear drop * ....... I dont wear a helmet!!!!!

Old 07-02-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have heard all those reasons why there are some situations where people think it is alright not to wear a helmet putting around familiar terrain or not wearing a helmet at all. First, you spend at least 12 plus years of schooling stuffing information in your head to get a good job and a million other positive reasons. One accident can pour all that effort out of your head and make you a liability to the people around you. Its not about just you! I have also seen guys I ride with tool around familiar terrain and break wrists, collar bones, etc..... You are no different than they are except for the denial part or just lucky not hitting that mud puddle just right or rock just on the edge of the trail. Everything in life is a risk but life is about risk management and you dont seem to care about yourself or the people you would affect being a vegetable from a serious head injury. Im sure you have dismissed me as a just another preacher but people like you are not good for the sport of ATVing. You will be a stat some Washington politician will quote to further regulate/restrict a sport that a bunch of people are passionate about. I hope you are lucky and nothing happens to you.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

easy daddy... i hate it when u raise your voice... lmao

Old 07-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If i bust my melon i will not be a libility to you. My family will be well taken care of through extensive insuance plans that i pay for dearly on a monthly, semi-annunal and annunal basis. I am not in denial either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They will be able to do what they want to without my permission. lol On my own property i will be okay. Without the helmet on i cruise around. If i am feeling racy i will bolt it on.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Raptar- go to time-out!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

The only time I don't wear my helmut when I ride, is when I'm drunk. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I putt on my property I don't put one on but if I go outside the gate I do. Why?

I like the way my brain functions it's not perfect but...

I tend to get a little wild when I had no intension of getting that way before I got on the quad.

I don't trust other people to see me or they may have some brain damage from riding without a helmet.

If a cop starts trying to chase me down I have an excuse for not stopping( I'm sorry officer I couldn't hear the siren with my helmet on.)

Never trust your life or health to something mechanical.Stuck throttle, no breaks, shock bolt coming out. I've see them all happen.

It's nice to have something to deflect the bugs off of.

And those occassional meteor showers.
You never know.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well I don't like wearing a helmet, Reptar sums it up for me. I did not on intend to run into anything that day me and Mark raced. That was a stupid mistake on my part and I paid for it. I am very lucky to be alive and praise GOD for letting me live to see my son grow up.
I know we should all wear helmets and all of you guys are right, but I see a lot of guys on the street with there speed demon cycles doing about 100mph with no helmet, so tell me what is coming closer to death 100mph on a street bike, or 35 on an ATV. Both will kill you no question, but I will take the ATV any day than the street bike.
When ever I get on a street bike I always put a helmet on.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

I wear my helmet all the time when i go out of the gate, only one exception, when im putting around in the yard or making adjustments and need to hear the engine more clearer. When sometimes riding with other people that dont wear helmets, im always late to start cause i make sure i got my helmet on and strapped, I have scratches on my helmet from wrecking on smaller quads 300ex blaster nasty wrecks, id rather break my ribs then my head, life to short i dont want to shorten it by doing stupid **** and not wearing a helmet, so why not wear a helmet.

Quick Reply: Helmet or no helmet??