Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

COPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COPS

Yeah the difference is that i am not driving a car. I can fit between trees that are 4 ft. apart. Lets see a cop car do that. Hell i would like to see any car try that.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

my neighbor calls the cops on us every time i work on the bikes. the cop will show up and ask if we were drag racing up and down the street. and i would tell him "no" I was just testing it and he would be cool. usually they would get out and check the bikes out.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default COPS

Cops or EPA what's the big deal anyway? I know you don't make the laws, you
just enforce them, but what are we doing that is so terrible anyway?

You can't tell me that some idiot on a crotch rocket on the street or a
cigarette boat in the water is less dangerous or annoying to the public than us.

Just give us some legal places to ride, that's all we want![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

i agree with you huge

Old 07-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

i think avery city that has atvers should have a few miles of trails on the outside of town. and have a garage where we can work on them and people can see that we arent bad as some make us sound like. if they give us ground to ride on we wont be on the streets racing or annoying our neighbors.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default COPS

I am a Police Officer and have been for 14 years now. I stopped many atv's for riding on the street. Alot of times we get calls about them driving recklessly. If we take our sweet time getting there the person that called gets pissed off and attempts to do something stupid to the atv rider like hitting them with a shovel or a 2x4. Most of the time when I catch I speak with the rider and If everything is cool, they get to leave, with a warning to stay off the road.

The main reason I stop atv's is to check and see if they are stolen, There have been several I have chased and I found out later that the atv had been stolen. I had one when I was working midnights that ran from me and went into a bean field. My partner exited the patrol car and pursued on foot. He was able to get within five feet because the rider had killed it and was trying to restart. My partner said when he reached out to grab the rider, he got it started and took off. I was able to see some of this from the road as I could see the headlights and my partners flashlight running all over the field. I then called for backup and the county sent four cars. We tried to set up a perimeter for containment but the atv got through and we lost him.

Later I was talking with the county officers about the incident and one of them said he had just taken a report from a few miles down the road where a garage was broken into and an atv was stolen. When I asked him for a description, it was the same atv we were chasing. Their supervisor told me that this was the fourth atv stolen in the area that month. He said I wish you guys would have caught them. My partner then said so do I, but you guys would have been inteviewing that guy in the hospital, if I would have caught him.

So just a word of caution if you don't have anything to hide don't run it will only make things worse, ie: Jail, impoundment of the atv and numerous traffic tickets, as opposed to maybe one ticket or just a warning. Take Care and Ride Safe.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

ptlm3 if i stop how do the cops find out if its stolen? do you ask for papers or what. if i dont have papers with me what will happen???

Old 07-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

i live in a small comunity about five mile's from town, and we have kid's riding dirt bike's atv's and other toy's up and down the street's all the time and it realy pisses me off. they alway's fly down the road like there the only one's that use them, and people around here are getting mad because they dont slow down when other's are out for a walk or riding there horses. and it's alway's the same kid's doing it about 5 dirt bike's and a half dozen atv's. if the kid's just slow down and take it easy no one would complain.but they have done it so much that we now have 2 police officer's living out here and if someone call's the cop's they just wait at there house and give them a fine. $575 doller's there tired of giving out warning's and i dont blame them. the dirt road's are just across the highway and nobody would say a thing if they road the dirt road's but they would rather ride the pavement , so they get what they deserve.in this town everybody know's everybody so there's no place to run because they wont chase you they just go to your house and wait for you there. last week my son was riding my 250 xr honda around the yard and the cop's pulled into the driveway and said that some people called in and complained that some kid's were riding up and down the road just flying and he knew we had a red dirt bike so this was his first stop. i told the officer that he was just riding it around the yard and he said that was ok but to stay off the road's. and that he was giving us our only warning that if he saw the boy riding it on the street's he was going to fine him.he said they are only doing there job. and i respected that and said thankyou and he left. then i said to the boy.if he see's you on the streets and you get caught i'll take the bike away and you will pay the fine.PS. if the cop's flash there light's stop and take the warning dont run because when he catches you you will be fined.and posably loose your bike or your dad's bike.

Old 07-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

The worst part about my friends ticket for riding on a gravel county road was the points on his license. The ticket and fines can be paid, but the points kept him from getting a job (driving a service truck and the company insurance requires drivers to not have any points), raised his insurance, etc. That was something he didn't think about prior to the ticket.

Old 07-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default COPS

You guys havnt heard that police stations in 27 of the states have started buying the new yfz450 with a trailer behind the ol' crown vic. I sure dont take any more chances any more...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: COPS