Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ450 Review - Sand Mt., NV - How does the YFZ 450 do shooting the hills and duning!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 Review - Sand Mt., NV - How does the YFZ 450 do shooting the hills and duning!

One of my friends took her (yes, she was the First Woman to buy a YFZ from the local dealer and the salesmen kept giving her husband a hard time about it.) Anyways, she took her new Y to Sand Mt. with some friends that are new to the sport and have Bone Stock Raptor's. She had a Bone Stock - not broke in Y (with paddles - Scat Track Edges). Below is her report (e-mail to me) (As you read, her husband = John has a Raptor with paddles and 12:1 piston, pipe and cam, however, it is very poorly tuned.) John is an experienced rider as is Christy (e-mail author), Bryan is totally new to the sport!

O.K
My "Y" as I call it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I Love It!! It is so low to the ground and it is so lite that is whips around in a heart beat. It will take me where ever I want to go and John had a blast on it too! He rode the peaks on it and the superbowl. As for the mountain. I raced Bryan on his stock raptor (no paddles) and won by a landslide then John got on Bryan's raptor and I still won (They switched riders because Bryan had never ridden before so John thought it was the rider not the bike) But,,, I still won. Then I raced John on his and I kept up with him till exactly half way up the hill and then he smoked me by about 5 quad links. John then raced a raptor with paddles and just a pipe and John won by 2 quad links and then I raced the same guy and won by at least 5 quad links. Then I raced a couple of banshee's and I pretty much ate there dust. I also raced a Kawasaki I think it was a 400 but you would have to ask john, Let's just say I won that race with out a doubt. John wouldn't let me leave the camp with out him because everytime I did I had atleast 2-3 guys coming up to me just to look at the "Y" and if they didn't come up to me, then they followed me back to camp to look at it. To sum up my bike John left Sand Mountain saying I could not get any after market stuff for my "Y" because he said then I would be pretty close to beating him.
It was soooo nice there. There was Maybe 20 trailers there maximum the whole weekend. Talk about having the dunes to ourselves.
As for my friends Bryan and Trista they did good for raptor with no paddles. We only had one tip over and one roll down a hill. Not to bad for the first weekend. Ha Ha Ha They are both fine we had no injuries. They did get the kids 80's in at 6:00 on Wednesday night. So the kids were really excited and they did pretty good for there first ride. Once we taught them not to go down a hill sideway and not to throttle the bike down a "slide" We could finally relax while they rode.

Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450 Review - Sand Mt., NV - How does the YFZ 450 do shooting the hills and duning!

Is it a white/red YFZ? We were camped next to a group with one and a female rider. I never got to see it run the mountain but it sure is a sweet looking bike. Talked to a guy flying a British flag on a blue/white Y and he said the bike was beating the rappies. It was our first trip to the mountain and had a great time and met lots of good people. Thanks again to the green 3500 dualie that dragged our buts out of the sand on Sunday.