Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

hypothetical - YFZ vs Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypothetical - YFZ vs Raptor

every time a new quad comes out all the dyno claims end up being severely off in the real world of things. for example, the Z400 was a 40+ hp quad until everybody got it and it turned out to be 30 stock. I see no reason to believe the yfz450 is any different. now maybe I'll end up pleasantly surprised down the road, but its been proven time and again that there is no replacement for displacement.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

[/quote]the yfz bike has 12.5:1 compression and kicks the butt; and most certainly hauls it - given the same amount of money in just engine mods the raptor is dead. sorry to be the one to bring you the news. you can do more with more but sometimes you start with less even if there is more if you know what I mean....[/quote]

Definately not true. The YFZ is about as potent as it's ever gonna be. The cubic inches are just not there to be competitive with the big boy's. Unless they figure out a way to pump up the YFZ to 550+ cc's, it'll never be competitive with 700+ cc Raptor's and DS's. As for the money. A piston and cam might give 2-3 horsepower on a YFZ whereas it'll give a Raptor 7-10. So the Raptor, as far as drag racing goes, will give you more bang for the buck.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Let's not forget that the 450 has Ti Valves and the Raptor does not. If you can get the Raptor to actually build power at the higher rpm's, it will start to really shine.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

I do believe the yfz is putting out close to 40hp stock. Sparks racing dyno'd it at 37 stock and 47 with all there mods. I have seen curtis's machines run and his dyno numbers don't lie. Different dyno's will produce different results but not 10hp if set up exactly the same.

Old 07-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I guess the 400ex just dosent have the engine size to take you guys either........ but it did. Kinda like the harleys VS the suzukis at the drag strip. Displacment dosent always matter as much as you think it does. If you want a small motor to make more power than a big motor you have to make it rev to the moon, and the yfz has that capability.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JakalWarrior
Yeah, I guess the 400ex just dosent have the engine size to take you guys either........ but it did. Kinda like the harleys VS the suzukis at the drag strip. Displacment dosent always matter as much as you think it does. If you want a small motor to make more power than a big motor you have to make it rev to the moon, and the yfz has that capability.
You're comparing a Raptor's engine to an archaic Harley engine? If you're gonna make a motorcycle comparison, at least do it right. The Raptor and YFZ are like a V-MAX versus an R6. Sure the R6 is almost as quick in the quarter mile, but in a street race with average riders, the V-MAX is gonna eat the R6 for breakfast. Also the V-MAX is capable of 200+ naturally aspirated horsepower, whereas the R6 could never muster that kind of power. Just like the YFZ will never make the 70+ horsepower that the Raptor's and DS's are without going to alcohol and being on the ragged edge of destruction.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

The perfect example is the banshee vs much larger two strokes. I built a really fast 250R with a 420 stroker motor and I still got beat by certain banshees. The super high hp banshees may not have a lot of bottom end when really juiced up at 350cc but boy do they run. I still think for the money you will never find a faster sand machine than a banshee. This is from someone who loved his 250R and now loves his yfz 450. I am not talking about just piped banshees either. When an engine is made to rev real high and is also a very efficient pump, good ports to work with, you can get tons of hp. The yfz will be capable of a lot more hp.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

On alcohol with a 14:1 piston, some porting, and a bigbore the yfz will make 70hp.

Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

i think its crazy that yamaha produced a quad in '88 and is still dominating...and with many competitors since 2001, it is still dominating...

Old 07-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

incase ur confused, im talking about the banshee and the raptor

Quick Reply: hypothetical - YFZ vs Raptor