Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

pos stock grab bar almost killed my friend......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pos stock grab bar almost killed my friend......

From reading the other threads I know that I am not the only one that has had stock grab bar crap out on them........but Mine really crapped out.......

I was in the middle of a second gear wheelie with my buddie on there and neither of us know what happened.....it almost felt like the throttle hung of something.....but I had it at the balance point and I was just puttin along in second then all of a sudden it just came on back and he fell off and the grab bar got bent up, broke my tail light, and scratched the hell out of the back of my fenders.......not to mention hurting my ego and embarassing the hell outta me.....
LoL

he only weighs like 100lbs and every time he gets on there, I just stand it up and ride.....most of the time it is on hwy 96(long and straight) most of the time I stand it up until I get about half way through 5th and I set it down because you can feel the wind affecting my balance by way of the parachute front fenders........

oh well.....I guess there is a first time for everything?

but if i would have had even a half *** grab bar maybe all of that dammage wouldn't have happened?
anyways....let me hear some of your stories....if I'm not the only one this has happened to.....

Old 07-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Club, Amigo!

Old 07-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Well for one, What are you doing going in 5th gear down an interstate in a full on power wheelie? Sounds alittle like your asking for trouble.... As far as the 2nd gear with someone on the back thing, stuff happens. If your willing to play around(and your buddy is willing to be your crash test dummie) you should be willing to take a spill from time to time. These are atv's not shermin tanks, if your going fast enough you'll break stuff. Now that I'm done lecturing, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I've had a similar incident, only difference was we weren't going fast enough to break off the bar. We just kinda sat there full vert. till I climbed off. So I guess you could label me dumb as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

The stock Raptor grab bar has to be the weakest i have ever seen.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Let's see, doing a wheelie, with a passenger, on an interstate.

You should either have your atv taken from you, or give it to someone that isn't too stupid to own one, as you are.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Quadfather

You should either have your atv taken from you, or give it to someone that isn't too stupid to own one, as you are.
I didn't see that part. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I do have to say thats pretty stupid! You know its crap like that that has lawyers in court everyday trying to ban our atv's and get local riding areas closed. Seriously use your head? Is it smart to go 70 some mph on an asphalt road WITH SOMEONE ON THE BACK? As I said I'm guilty of riding double, but not in 5th WAO in a full power wheelie down an interstate. I REALLY question your friends intelligence......

Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

He said HIGHWAY not INTERSTATE.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorx44
He said HIGHWAY not INTERSTATE.
O....I'm sorry. That makes it ok then....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Its completely besides the point. Theres people that get hurt/killed everyday, because they don't use their head when they ride. Then Mom and Dad, or the wife, or whoever decide to file a lawsuit, and guess who loses? Me and you. Sorry, but I don't accept irresponsibility of that magnitude no matter where their riding.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

You know... We all know that the grab bar on a Raptor is too weak to sustain a major hit while wheelieing. However, it is not made for such use. It's called a GRAB BAR for a reason: To provide a place to pickup/anchor the quad. If you want a bar that will save your butt because you can't manage a wheelie, you should be ready to buy one designed for that. 2 cents you know...

~HoundDog

Old 07-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

What Hounddog06 said. I was going to post something real similar, but he has it covered.

Quick Reply: pos stock grab bar almost killed my friend......