Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i think im about to buy a yfz450

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think im about to buy a yfz450

I see that you have a DS650 and a YFZ450. I know the subject has been beat to death but, how do they compare in power like drag races, torque feeling while riding and seat of the pants feel? I also own a DS. I am curious if I would like look into getting one. By the way I am 6'2 and 230 pounds, would I be too big for it?

Old 07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

Oh and I wouldn't listen to anyone that tries to tell you that you shouldn't get a bike/quad because its "too much to handle" for beginners. Use common sense and caution... a 4 wheeler is only as dangerous as the rider. Get what you WANT for your first bike it doesn't take long at all to get used to them.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would seriously caution someone new to the sport buying a 450, its a race bike, and you need at least some experience on a 2 wheeler MXer to appreciate it. I would look to something more broad/less maintenance like a 400EX. I'm part of the Wash. ATV assoc. and I see alot of people ride bikes they have no business riding, so like the previous post said use common sense.........

Old 07-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

How old are you? I know some say it doesn't matter what bike but there are some bikes that are just way too much to handle for a young beginner. If you're an adult or practically an adult then you should be able to have enough common sense and physical ability to handle it after a few months. I wouldn't want to get my kid a dodge viper for his first car and I wouldn't get a yfz for my first quad if you're very young and I might not even if you're a little older like me.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Well if you buy a banshee you may end up like every other drunk dune runner who walks into the dealership wanting a banshee. Dont flame me if you are one of these guys.

From the sound of it you are looking at buying your first ATV and like others have said the 450 may not be a good bike to start out on.
The 400ex is a great machine but instead i would go for a Z400. Either way dont jump into something you cant handle and dont act like a retard when you ride.

Old 07-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Don't skimp on the safety equipment, it's the most important thing you can purchase. If you can't afford the equipment that just might save your life, spend less money on a quad. I finally sat on the 450 today at the dealer, man is that thing small, almost smaller than a blaster. I picked it up by the grab bar and man is that thing light.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

wow thanks for all the replys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
and ya i think i should get a few extra things since im a newb and that bike doesnt look very newb. But im not dumb enough to take it on a track the first day.
Ill probably just ride it aronud on a field and mess around getting use to it for awhile.

And BigScary ya i would probably do better with one of the smaller ones to start. But soon i will want faster.
I know i would regret not geting at least the banshee once i get use to it.

HappaRap i can afford the equipment but i was just wondering if it was needed of if he was just trying to get my to buy everything....

Old 07-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

You can mess yourself up on an quad, yzf or a badger. It depends if you know your capabilities and start walking before you run.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

yah im just going to cruise on it for awhile.

im going to the dealer tommarow i gotta decide if i want the white and red or blue and red. thats hard

Old 07-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

White and Red. Helmet and gloves are a nessessity the rest can come later when your a better rider. Buy the YFZ. Your old enough to know your limits so get the YFZ. Learn to ride it and you won't have to waste time selling it because it isn't enough bike for you later on.

Quick Reply: i think im about to buy a yfz450