Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i think im about to buy a yfz450

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i think im about to buy a yfz450

Originally posted by: bowenc8484
I see that you have a DS650 and a YFZ450. I know the subject has been beat to death but, how do they compare in power like drag races, torque feeling while riding and seat of the pants feel? I also own a DS. I am curious if I would like look into getting one. By the way I am 6'2 and 230 pounds, would I be too big for it?
Well first off I really don't drag not much places to do it in Wastington. (that sucks A**)
At first the 450 seemed small like over the handle bars small but after a hour of riding it felt better. Power and acceleration feels the same and I am at stage one on the DS. Suspention even though the 450 has com/reb piggybacks all the way around the DS can fly over the rough and have a smooth ride. The 450 you are feeling alot more. I am 6' and 220 dry.
The seat on the 450 is going to take some getting used to

Not to be off the topic. Like Dietcokeofevil said get what you want and go at the speed that you can handle.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Matt, I'm from Grand Rapids too! Last weekend I was surpised to see a YFZ450 at Shawmutt Hills, I was surprised because I figured that they would have sold out all the first units coming in. Hopefully you can get a decent price on one if they aren't selling out as quickly as expected. I bought my first ATV at Shawmutt Hills and they also set me up with all my riding gear, I think they gave me about 20% off on all the extra stuff. I even went in a couple months later to buy some more gear and they still gave me the discount!

Old 07-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

thats awesome TrailMix..
ya they had a blue one when i went there.. they didnt even have a banshee.

where do you ride at?

Old 07-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

BigScary- Have you tried Craycraft Racing for your 686 kit? They have been doing a lot of these the past year as well as 727s. Ask for Bob Craycraft. Tell him Raptorrider2001 from Richardson asked you to call.

http://14mins.com/craycraft_racingonlinestore.htm

Old 07-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Matt,

Mostly I either ride at Silver Lake dunes or near Baldwin where there are lots of nice trails. If you'd like maps of the Michigan trails you can down load them from the internet at Michigan.gov under the recreation/camping header. The trails I ride near Baldwin would be fairly safe for a new rider, they are really wide and mostly sand. The closest public atv trail is Cedar Creek in Twin Lakes. That trail is pretty tough, its really tight and twisty and has lots of horse flys this time of year.

I bought a 400EX as my first atv and made my first ride on the tight forest trail near White Cloud. Not a very good idea looking back. I nailed a tree pretty good and sprained my right thumb. It would have been a lot better if I had gone to Baldwin first, but a wide open field would probably be best for your first ride.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Duramax
BigScary- Have you tried Craycraft Racing for your 686 kit? They have been doing a lot of these the past year as well as 727s. Ask for Bob Craycraft. Tell him Raptorrider2001 from Richardson asked you to call.

http://14mins.com/craycraft_racingonlinestore.htm
thanks for the advice!

Old 07-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

thx TrailMix that helps alot. im actually out in wayland.

are there any other dealers around here or is it just Shawmutt Hills.. do you think i should just buy it from there or do you know of a place where i could get a better deal? they seem pretty fair, nice and helpful.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

is it true the yfz450 doesnt have reverse?

Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Matt,

The only other Yamaha dealer I know of in GR is Team Alpine. Since you're down in Wayland you may want to check M&M Motor Mall in Kalamazoo. I just happened to be a Shawmutt Hills to pick up some oil and was surprised to see the YFZ450 there on the showroom floor. Shawmutt Hills is a great dealership, they have a great staff and lots of products after there recent remodeling.

If I were going to buy that quad I'd first go to both Team Alpine and M&M to get their price and then go to Shawmutt Hills and ask them to beat that price. They may only match it but I'd offer them $700 less and see what happens. Make sure you mention that you'll be needing a helmet and etc.

Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

awesome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

does anyone know of sites that sell mods for the yfz? i dont plan on doing anything performance wise until i learn how to ride but it doesnt hurt to see whats out there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: i think im about to buy a yfz450