Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rear shock woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock woes

I bought a Works rear shock that only has adjustment for sag (hey, I didn't know). I'm bouncing from side to side over small bumps and I'm afraid to try the woops at any speed. The shock is made for my weight and type of riding. I've loosened up the sag a little but broken bones have kept me from trying it out. Do ya think this will work or do I need to have it rebuilt for compression and rebound adjustment.

Old 07-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

I've got the Elka rear with adjustable compression, rebound, and ride height. It has taken me lots of trial and error (had to get a different main spring from Elka - $50 more bucks) even when Elka set it up with my style and weight in mind. It simply takes time and experimentation. I think I'm real close to getting it just right but not quite yet - almost, but I think it can still get better in the whoops. It's really a trade-off between a nice, plush ride and bottoming out. Keep trying different things - unfortunately, the Works adjustment may be limited.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

I had my stock rear shock rebuilt with Elka SSD components. It's better than stock but I still get smacked on the a$$ by the seat in the whoops. Although the Raptor rear shock linkage isn't really made for MX, with a couple firmer rebound clicks, I might be able to sit down in the rough stuff:-)

Old 07-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

The new main spring is 100% better. I'm getting some bottoming when I clobber a V-out and on some odd jumps but that's a trade-off I expected and I'm willing to make. Overall, the 95% solution was the softer spring. I still havent tuned/tested it in the deep, endless whoops in Mexico (too darn HOT !) but expect good results based on it's characteristics at my normal riding areas.

Thanks again for your advice - Eric

Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

Any body want to buy an almost brand new Works rear shock for your Raptor. Don't listen to these guys, save some money and buy my shock instead of one of those expensive, hard to tune shocks with all the complicated clickers and junk. What you want is a no hastle unadjustable shock. I have what you're looking for. And I will even give it to ya for the same price I paid for it. You can't go wrong.

Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear shock woes

I would call Works. I have the Ultracross on both my 400's, and have no complaints. I think you just went to cheap! Compression and rebound are pretty personal things, and a one shock fits all doesn't exist. Maybe they can revalve it for you, or add the adjusters?????????? You have 30 days to make changes free of charge!!

Old 07-29-2003, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

My Elkas are dialed in beautifly. Its all trial and error, but when you find that sweet spot.......Hmmmmm.
OK, now that most of your minds are in the gutter, let me remind you that you will experience the most plush, responsive RIDE you have ever had. I normally hit the whoops wide open. I find the harder I hit them, the more comfortable the bike responds.....sort of a skipping effect across the top. I never sit down in the rough stuff. If you do, then it doesnt matter what rear susspension you have, you will get smacked in the a$$.

Overall, the aftermarket susspension is the best mod I have made. Set them up properly, and you will scare yourself when you realize how fast you going.

Old 07-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

McFly - Are you saying that you do not put any weight on the seat when attacking the whoops? Weight on the footpegs but hanging your butt near the rear of the seat? Watching the pros fly over whoops, it looks like they have their butt firmly planted on the rear of the seat. I agree that faster is smoother in the whoops but I'm just learning so any advice is appreciated.

Old 07-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

I place all my weight towards the back, but I still support my weight using my legs .i.e I dont sit.
If you sit, its like riding a mechanical bull, and all you can do it hang on for the ride!
Its easiest to use you legs as an extension of the susspension. Then you will be much faster.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rear shock woes

Originally posted by: McFly
I place all my weight towards the back, but I still support my weight using my legs .i.e I dont sit.
If you sit, its like riding a mechanical bull, and all you can do it hang on for the ride!
Its easiest to use you legs as an extension of the susspension. Then you will be much faster.
Ditto!
Hang back on the seat,,,,WAY back.