Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Marienville Tour-de-forest gets big thumbs down

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2000, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should call it tour-de-dirt roads. I litterally could have driven my wifes minivan on every road we road on. we found no mud and little to no woods trails. If I wanted to ride roads I could have stayed home. They should have said in the advertisement that it was all road riding and We wouldn't have wasted our time. Cochranton was awsome, Thats ATVing.

Old 05-23-2000, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with you on the road riding, but I think you are missing the point. It is advertised as a leasurely ride through nice scenic areas. I don't think it is a bad ride as long as you know what to expect. Did you go across a long swampy area on a boardwalk? That is part of the bike trail. If you have never ridden the regular trails, they open next weekend and are pretty nice. The quad trail is not much of a challenge, but the Timberline is a little better. The bike trail is the best, pretty tight in places, very rocky in others, not much wide open areas or mud but you will get wet. I'm not all that into mud so I like the bike trail more than Cochranton. Have you ever gone to the Greenwood VFD poker run? I would like to try it sometime.

Old 05-23-2000, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tour-de-Forest advertisements I received described the ride accurately, something like, "a leisurely ride on logging roads through scenic forestland."

Discussion and description of T de F on the Forum seemed valid, also.

Having ridden both Cochranton and Tour de Forest, I enjoyed both. T de F had both a formal and an informal mud pit, at the racetrack and alongside the road, for those so inclined.

The organization and volunteers at both Cochranton and Marienville were great; the breakfasts and pig roasts at T de F were outstanding. At both places, I got to meet and visit with lots of good-guy ATVers.

Granted, the events are decidedly different; but I wouldn't criticize one or the other because its no clone.

Tree Farmer

Old 05-23-2000, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

I guess I just find riding 50+ miles on flat ground with people on your heels if you go below 35mph somewhat boring. They could open this ride up to street bikes and they could probably ride the hole thing quite comfortably. I find ATVs perform better in cochranton conditions and are not designed for alot of road riding. as far as the volunteers I definetly ran into the wrong ones. We asked about 3 or 4 different ones where we could park to camp and 2 said about 20 miles away and the others had no clue. We later found a spot 3miles away that I would think they should have known about. Then at registration after we got our rider packs we had to track down the ONE person who was inspecting all the quads. After following him around with a group of people we finally got ours checked and it was almost dark so we had to race around and find somewhere to camp.
I hate to be a complainer but myself and the group I was with wont be back. We will however see you in cochranton.