Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

KFX400 Vs. Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:06 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX400 Vs. Raptor

I don't trust magazines shootouts, I trust real world tests. Like the ones I have had and Raptoraz have had. I am \ by no means saying that a 400 is faster than a Raptor, I am just saying that off the line my z will get out first when I have raced Raptors. I am always in front for the first few gears, like when I race a DS650. Remember the difference in weights too, it takes some of that big 660's torque advantage away.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

The "rumor" of being tipsy is both true and false. It really depends on your riding style. The raptor does have a higher center of gravity and narrower stance than some bikes. I at first felt it was extremely tipsy, being used to a warrior (you can't hardly flip a warrior), but I soon learned that by mearly leaning a little and utilizing some of the raptors ungodly torque, its easy to slide, corner, and whatever you want to do. Once you get used to the ride of the raptor and how it handles, you'll never call it tipsy again.

~HoundDog

Old 08-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

The wieght difference in these quads isnt much at all. 20, 30 pounds? thats not that much at all, not enough to effect the holeshot much.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:18 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

I guess your right about weights, plus the kid on the kxf weighed more than the Rappy pilot.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

when in doubt. swap quads. hop on the rap and let them take your Kawi. then race. this should identify rider error.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
The "rumor" of being tipsy is both true and false. It really depends on your riding style. The raptor does have a higher center of gravity and narrower stance than some bikes. I at first felt it was extremely tipsy, being used to a warrior (you can't hardly flip a warrior), but I soon learned that by mearly leaning a little and utilizing some of the raptors ungodly torque, its easy to slide, corner, and whatever you want to do. Once you get used to the ride of the raptor and how it handles, you'll never call it tipsy again.

~HoundDog
The candor in this thread is impeccable, I couldn't agree more. However, these techniques you speak of really affect the performance and agility of the Raptor? I do not concur with the warrior statement, you can flip it if you really try hard.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I agree you can flip a warrior if you really try. I only flipped mine once. (2nd gear donut and got tractions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]).

As far as the agility. I would say you could argue that point on the basis that the ability to handle and manipulate your bike will make you a more agile competitor in more severe riding situations. The better you can handle your bike, the better you'll be in any situation.

~HoundDog

Old 08-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I must admit, you Yamaha..umm...people are quite knowledgeable and tactful with your comments. So much for the KFX400 vs Raptor debate, it has been settled. I am more curious about the inherent flaws associated with the Raptor and pros (if any) and cons to owning one?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the kind words but do beware, this forum can also get harsher than most. As far as your asking of pros/cons of the raptor, try this thread posted a few days ago to get you started. Just keep in mind who you take advise from. Most people are prejudiced to their ride or against certain others so take harsh comments with a grain of salt and keep an open mind. The truest replies are usually those giving milder comments and presenting both sides.

Best of luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

~HoundDog

Old 08-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

The only "CON" I have with Raptor ownership is that it's time consuming to jet. I could pull the carb off my EX in 5 minutes. It takes at least 15 on the Raptor.

Quick Reply: KFX400 Vs. Raptor