Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

KFX400 Vs. Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX400 Vs. Raptor

Originally posted by: SierraKFX
I must admit, you Yamaha..umm...people are quite knowledgeable and tactful with your comments. So much for the KFX400 vs Raptor debate, it has been settled. I am more curious about the inherent flaws associated with the Raptor and pros (if any) and cons to owning one?
Ya these Yamaha people are very knowledgeable cause there always brakein stuff tryin to hard to smoke the 400 class ...lol j/k guys

Honestly , this side of the forum has the best advice I have found , and they will give you honesty (most of the time) ..lol... If you post a
this VS. whatever anywhere else it usually turns into a very huge 200 post long flame and ego war .....

Me being a KFX owner my self will agree with some and disagree on others , every quad is different and the brake in has some part in it , I
have raced 4 Raptors and beat 2 of them 1st through 4th the other 2 both at Comp hill Dumont I was a bike length behind one and the other
well it was Raptor03 's and we can just say I am still cleaning sand outta my teeth , camel back , jersey , boots , gloves , and my front fenders are permently pitted ..... (lol)

Old 08-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

i have seen a lot of kfxs and raptors race on the dunes where i ride and i can tell you that with riders of equal ability the raptor will take the kfx easily.there are a lot of factors in a race that will affect the outcome but this one sounds like rider ability or the lack of it to me.i would say to enjoy the wins while you can because once the raptor rider figures out how to ride his quad he will probably beat you with ease.

Old 08-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I think the guy on the raptor was probably inexperienced and was afraid of wheeliing to bad. My first few drags on my z I lost against ex's all the time because I was a little scared of flipping back. I flipped back on the wheelie bar plenty of times and then I'd get kind of worried and not have a very good launch at all after that. I don't know about this guy but the raptor is a lot more powerful than a z or kfx and it wants to wheelie even worse. Also maybe his quad just wasn't running perfect or something. I've raced a raptor and lost by about two quads in a 150 or 200 foot race and I've run at least 300 or 400 yards before and lost by double-digit quad lengths. They really open up in the higher gears and if you can keep the front end down you can really pull a good hole-shot on them.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

its not THAT hard not to wheelie off the line. Just dont pop the clutch and/or gas it too hard and youll be fine. I myself am definately not an expert dragger but i know the basics are pretty obvious. Keep your weight far forward and be consistent with the throttle in first gear.