Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 660r

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 660r

Originally posted by: extremerider2811
yeah and i mean i'm not going to see a 7 year old on one, (maybe i will) but i mean i am 16 and 175 lbs, i can handle it i hope, i've driven alot of quads but nothing like the 660,,,,, you guys are harsh,, help and intermediate out here, god! then again "bigscary" why should i get a junior, i've never heard of it,,, is it like a 90 cc? i want something with a lot of power so i guess the 660 is the right choice,,

later
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH!
LoL
I was callin you junior!
LoL
naw but for real we are just jackin wif yah
if you are gettin off of a 300ex and uhm......I don't think that I would get anything like a rappy

just test drive it before you buy it
b-careful and don't kill yourself

if you are skeeered of a 300 you may need to tighten up the throtle limiter for a while and get used to it

just a lil advice.....don't get and an atv forum tellin them that you can't open up a 300ex......dat is a pee wee quad....LoL

good luck dude

Old 08-13-2003, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

lol, but that didn't answer my recent post before yours

and i'm not scared either lol

later

Old 08-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

Originally posted by: extremerider2811
ahh i don't know i'll have to think about that quad, is the 660 a 4 stroke?

also, is the 660 at the top of its game, it out performs any quad, so if i buy one i won't have any engine problems if i take it easy before i break in the engine? in the future there will need to be some repairs like brakes,,, maybe a gear or something but the engine should stay in tact,yeah and if it did blow, how much would a new engine cost me?

thanks

later
dude LoL
chill

you act like u are bout to blow a head gasket........LoL

if you keep the rappy serviced you shouldn't have any motor problems.......
LoL

Old 08-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

The Raptor is indeed a 4 stroker.

".......if i take it easy before i break in the engine?"

The taking it easy part IS the break in period.
Yes, if you break it in properly, it should run for years and years without any trouble.

Like any other machine, you will need to replace the brake pads every now and then. (sometimes years inbetween)

Raptor motors are toned way down and are understressed. They also have a rev-limiter.
In stock form, they are probably pretty indestructable. You shouldnt worry about blowing it.
And IF you happen to forget to put the oil in after a change, and you blow it,
having it rebuilt is much cheaper than buying a new one from Yamaha. (thousands of $)

As far as being at the top of the food chain, I wouldnt go that far.
The Bomb DS650 is just as fast, (some argue faster), The new Yamaha YFZ 450 will blow its doors off,
and any old stock Zilla will roost on it also.

BUT as far as new quads go, there is only one that will positively kill it, and that is the YFZ.
Dont worry about that. It is plenty fast, and gets plenty of respect. Its a Raptor.

Handling, It isnt the best motoX quad due to its 'kind of' top heavy stance,
its weight from the reverse and electric starting ect..

If you want to do nothing but dominate motoX AND kill that 300EX in a drag race (umm, very easily) get a 250R or the
new YFZ450.

Hope I helped.

-Matt

Old 08-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

thanks for your help, i'm not a newbie rider, i've been riding for quite some time, i just am new to yamaha

you know

later

what is the handling on turns? you say its top heavy, so i'll have to take it easy on turns, but not if i have bank turns correct? hmmmm so i have more to say just can't think of it right now, but you all don't mind me asking do you?

l

Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

Don't get a raptor for mx...may be the worst choice

Unless your parents pay for every venture of yours I'd get a Honda so you can actually afford to ride on the weekends...the Yamaha will just soak up your money and ruin your passion for riding

Old 08-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

My friends cousin is 16 and your size, he had no experience on quads and bought a Raptor.....he's been riding for 6 months now, he knows his limits...but he rides pretty good now.....you'll be fine.....don't get an 01 Raptor though, they have transmission problems.

Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor 660r

extremerider... how old are you? not putting ya down at all bud. im a youngin myself. but if your friends 300ex goes too fast! there is no such thing as too fast! as stated, a raptor would fly by that 300 in high 2nd or low 3rd gear. there are still two more to spare. raptor are said to go over 70mph stock. if thats not fast enough then add some mods too it. there is no limit to what y ou can do to a raptor. ]]

as for the 400ex, sure great bike, but there is no replacement for displacement, and that bike is outdated!

GO BLUE

Y4M4H4 4LL TH3 W4Y

Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Range Rover
Default raptor 660r

sry, i didnt read all the posts before replying. @ 16yrs 175lbs, the raptor would fit you right. but the power can be overwelming for the first couple of rides (after break-IN) im 21, 165lbs, and have had my raptor for almost 1 year (2003 model) i bought it without any experiance on a quad before in my life. i had just rode my buddies 400ex a few times in my backyard and i had to have one. [a quad](not a 400)

anyways i bought the raptor knowing i wouldnt be able to start out small then upsize according to my ability, i cant afford that. so i started out big. and let my tell you. i gave myself a lot of bruises and almost a few broken limbs the first couple months. even worse, i beat the $h1t outta my raptor. ive had to replace handlebars, plastic, my subframe is kinda screwed, but thats all from learning. you respect the raptor and itll respect you. it is a VERY powerful machine whether starting out new, or just upsizing. it should suit all your needs and exceed your expectations. if you get a newer model (2003+) you shouldnt have any problems with any major engine/transmission or suspension components. just change oil, check spark plug, and all that. i havent even needed to adjust my chain after almost one year, let alone fix brakes, or anything of that nature. the choice is yours, but i think you would be the happiest young man in the world with a raptor.

enjoy yourself, be careful, and stay true to the BLUE!!!!

Y4M4H4 4 L1F3!!!!

nice to have you on board

Old 08-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default raptor 660r

I'd go with a 400ex if I were you. Like 50 other people said the raptor has a... lot of power, and is easy to get away from you. The ex has plenty of power and has plenty of aftermarket parts to make it go even faster if you get bored with it. Which you most likely wouldn't for several years. They have nice suspension, nice turning, etc. no they dont have quite the power of a raptor, but the first time i rode a rap it knocked me on my butt.

Quick Reply: raptor 660r