Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

OT: Truck Tach Wiring Help-

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Truck Tach Wiring Help-

Ok guys,

I have a 1987 Mazda B2000 and am trying to wire in a small Autometer tach i have....

Its not ecu so it doent have the little thing with the fuses so you can add a tach, I was told that it has to be wired off the distributer, well i only have 2 wires coming outa it, a black one, and a black with brown tracer, and also beside the distributer on its mount is a small little black sqaure thing with a single black wire running to it,

My tach has 4 wires, a red(Im assuming for power)Black(Im assuming Ground) White(I have no idea) and light green(No clue at all) and its for a standard ingnition,

I want to be able to still use my stock tach and have this one to, if anybody has any ideas on how to wire it in that would be great.

Thanks

RYan

Old 08-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

TTT

Old 08-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Find the coil, that's where the tach will get the signal to determine the engine RPM. The tach gets a signal each time the coil fires and then divides by 4/6/8 (switch on tach) to display the right RPM. The coil should have a + and a - wire in addition to the thick high-voltage wire that goes to the distributor. The tach connects to the + on the coil. If you're feeling froggy, find the wire that drives the dash tach and use it instead of connecting directly to the coil.

The tach should have wires for ground, positive, light, and coil. Connect the Black wire to ground and the Red to positive. Then, connect the white wire to positive and see if the tach lights up. If so, connect the white wire to your dash lights so the tach illuminates when you turn on your head lights. The green wire would then go to the + side of the coil. If the white wire doesn't light the tach, try the green. If the green wire illuminates the tach, the white wire should go to the + side of the coil and the green goes to the dash lights. If neither the green or white illuminate the tach, I have no clue.