Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how to ride a low mph wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to ride a low mph wheelie?

Rev and drop the clutch!!!

Gets it up fast, without using to much speed or distance.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

no, no, no, don't drop your clutch. why put stress on something if you don't have to. A raptor has more power that my blaster, and i don't need a hill, all i need is gas. Just give it gas, and kinda throw your wieght back. Then just find your balance, and get on and off the gas to keep the front up. doing this i can go up to the end of 3rd gear, and with your power you can go farther. just practice and you'll get it.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

dude... my friend can do wheelies dragin the grab bar in 5th gear......!

Old 09-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
dude... my friend can do wheelies dragin the grab bar in 5th gear......!
uh i thought the point was to not hit the grab bar?

and jshouse, the raptor will be easy for wheelie just gas it and pull back it'll come rite up,just keep ur rite foot on the brake ready, and remember practice makes perfect

Old 09-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 4strokpwr660R
Rev and drop the clutch!!!

Gets it up fast, without using to much speed or distance.
This is the key, if you want to do super slow wheelies the easiest way is to get the wheelie up quickly, that way you don't have to slow much in the wheelie. Then you pretty much just have to practice with the clutch brake and gas...there really isn't a secret to it, you just need to practice. Just remember that every time you drop below balance point you have to speed up in order to get the front end back up where it belongs. You will want to stay at balance point or higher to keep it going slow. If you do get going to fast you have to bring the quad up passed balance point so the grab bar is just a few inches off of the ground and drag the rear brake. It's kind of hard to explain so just practice and you'll be set.

If you check out my gallery there is a shot of me wheeling and my girlfriend catching it. Get the slow ones down, they help with all other types of wheelies.

-Josh

Old 09-08-2003, 01:47 AM
X4
Weekend Warrior

jshouse i also ride a 03 raptor. just sit as far back as u can preferibly on the back where ur fender and grab bar meet. put it in first and give it about 1/2- 3/4 throttle wich will pop u up and then u just need to find how much throttle will keep u up but not go over. if u feel as if u are about to go too far back tap the rear brake. it will bring ur quad right down, just dont tap it too hard cause it will come down quicker than u want.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

do you guys pull in the clutch when taping the brake? i cant seem to reach it during a wheele...........

Old 09-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bombrider
do you guys pull in the clutch when taping the brake? i cant seem to reach it during a wheele...........
Well, you can ride a slow wheelie without pulling in the clutch, but to actually get the bike to park in a wheelie for a second you have to use it otherwise you'll stall it. Not to mention when the clutch isn't in and you are hitting the brake the engine is actually fighting it from slowing down.

When you are just starting out, try it with your right foot on the brake and your left knee on the seat. It gives you a higher position on the quad and may be easier for you to pull in the clutch that way. I haven't ridden a DS650, but I wouldn't think that the clutch position is a whole lot further out than most other quads so once you get the feel for it you shouldn't have a problem workin the clutch seated.

-Josh

Old 09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

cool, thanks man