Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Paging 95wolv!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging 95wolv!

95wolv, after reading many posts from the past, you seem to be very experienced on the 95 Wolverine with the 36mm stock carb. We also both are from MN, and have to operated in the same climate. I have this same machine and would like some more info on some of your previous posts. This past weekend my stock machine started bogging very bad. After reading your post about a possible stuck accelerator pump, sure enough I checked mine and it was stuck down. Its appears when the rubber bellows slides up the shaft it has more holding power than the weak spring. I will put in a stiffer spring as per your instructions. I also noticed that the pump lever does not contact the pump until well into the throttle. You stated that you "closed the gap". How? Will this cause the pump to over travel. Will it make for better low end response? Also, since I have the carb off, are there any other adjustments or tweeks I can do at this time to make a stock machine run better. It seams lean on the low end. I also welcome responses from anyone else. Thank you

Old 10-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Default Paging 95wolv!

My 98 was a different carb than the 95s but I was having a similar problem. Mine turned out to be the plunger that works the slide, it looked good but it wouldn't open the slide. How I checked it was to take the intake hose off the air box side and watched it while it was running. It wasn't opening so I held it open with a screwdriver and it ran better so I replaced the plunger assy. Hope this helps ya.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paging 95wolv!

Weasel95,
I'm surprised yours made it this long with that pitiful spring Yamaha put in there, mine got replaced several years ago!! As far as adjusting the accel pump arm,you can do it on the machine, just take the plastic side cover off and you will need to bend back the retaining tab on the nut that holds the arm on the pivot shaft,there is a washer and spring on there,so make sure everything goes back the way it should. Some I have talked to have added on to the arm, but I ended up just gently bending it by holding one side with a dikes ( a big,flat jawed pliers) and using a needle nose vice grip to bring the arm (the end with the round **** on it) down a little, be careful, a little bend translates into a lot more travel on the arm.Then put it back on the shaft, put the washer,retaining plate and nut on, and snug up. Be sure to test the throttle for binding, I put mine on wrong once, and it wouldn't close the throttle all the way, made stopping the quad a lot of fun. As far as the amount to bend it, I took about half the slack it had before out of the travel, I have made a lot of adjustments on it, and too much will flood out the motor and make it blubber on the bottom end if you hit the gas, so you made need to make several small adjustments to get it where your engine likes it. The other thing to check it the float level, should be about 12mm,to low, it sucks air and loses power on the top end, to full, and it makes it run rich on the bottom, and makes it stutter on the low end. I also noticed the butterfly valve on mine was not opening fully at full throttle, the linkage near the top of the carb under the plastic cover can be adjusted, but on mine, I still couldn't get it full open, so I ended up taking the top of the carb off,removing the little arm that pulls the slide up, and ground a little bit off the stop, allowing it to travel up more, fully opening the butterfly. While that won't affect the bottom end too much, I felt I might be restricting top end, so I made sure it was flat open at full throttle. Sorry for the long post, just trying to cover all the bases, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Old 10-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default Paging 95wolv!

Thanks for the great info. Glad you explained not to take all the slack out of pump, or I would have tryed to take it ALL out. I now have my pump moving freely without sticking, but am not getting any fuel squirting out. I have to dig deeper as I must have a blocked passage or pump is bad.
On another subject, how does yours shift, especially when cold. Mine is a bear to get from reverse to 1st. I have to wiggle the machine back and forth. Real notchy. I know idle speed has alot to due with it, but I cant seem to get it right. My son has a T-wolf, and it is smooth as butter all the time.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Paging 95wolv!

Sounds like some crud got caught in the passage from the pump to the orifice to the mouth of the carb, it is a long passage, try putting the straw from the carb cleaner into the hole, and blast until it comes out the other end,or possibly use an air hose,without any flow from that squirter, you will bog real bad.There isn't much to go wrong with the pump, it is just an aluminum rod with a plunger end on it,no o rings or seals to go bad.
As far as the reverse, make sure the cable is adjusted correctly,too much slack, and it won't disengage the shifter engough to click into gear smoothly, mine isn't perfect,either, but I never have a problem shifting in the cold.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Paging 95wolv!

I see you have the 424, how do you like it? I just put one in last weekend. Wow! Its like having 2 machines in one. Good investment. I now call it the "Rooster". With all this stress taken off the front drive train, Im considering shaving a little metal off the steering stops. Have you done this or know results of anybody who has?

Old 10-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Paging 95wolv!

You're reading my mind !!! I have also considered grinding the stops a little, as long as the angle isn't too severe for the cv joints, it could really shorten up the turning radius, which is a little big for a mid size 4x4. I love the 424, powersliding the corners is a lot more fun now, and it seems to have a little more top end without the front to pull some power. I almost forgot about your question on the Works shocks, front and back ran me about 720 bucks, got them from a guy in Wisconsin,Rally motorsports, I think the name was, the email there was esp@genevaonline.com, you could try there and see if they still carry the shocks.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Paging 95wolv!

The turning radius should now be zero! Right thumb and front brake! LOL .... just messin with ya. I'd be gettin the 424 for this summer's riding season but it isn't lookin good since I got this new 'Dale. I seem to like to buy stuff for it better ... hehe. Maybe sometime... great info btw.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Paging 95wolv!

Love my 424[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]