Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Advance-Retard Timing /w Stage 1 HC on Rap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advance-Retard Timing /w Stage 1 HC on Rap?

I agree with 007 on that e-bay thing. About the only way I know to get rid of the rev limit is with an aftermarket ign.

I am not sure what I think about the retarded timing for you either. On one side I see being good and on another not so good. If you are exp. detonation (which I bet not) then deffinately good, but if not I don't know. If it burns slower, like methanol, then I would say not good.....I am curious though and will have to think about that one. I can see it helping it rev more though.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

THanks for the reply's gentlemen! Turning the sparks key around will give you nothing....just like the stock key. It's flat on 1 side and has a notch in the other. I am actually using a sparks timing key NOW in the backward position because I lost the original and had it laying around from previous usage.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Slim, I have been thinking about this. (Of course this is all my opinon) I think you can get more from advancing the ign. timing over retarding it. I don't know exactley what half of the additive you are using is, but the other half of it I know. Everything I can find on that points out that you would need to make increases in ign. timing.

I think the optimal thing would be a DYNA ignition that you can program your own ignition timing into. You would be able to make changes and check them against your times. Don't you grow money trees up there??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Check you PMs for some links supporting what I am talking about.

This seems like a good thread.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Gary do you know what you are going to do? Did you ever try the adv key in the right direction? Got another one laying around?lol

Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

The Sparks key notch is offset 6 degrees which will either advance or retard timing 6 degrees. The 6 degree offset key offsets the fywheel from were the stock key positions it; thats why the Sparks key has the offset notch and the stock key does not. The stock key and Sparks key are different; I ran the Sparks key when my bike was stock. Slim

Old 10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The Sparks key will not retard timing.....1 side is offset and the other is FLAT....just like the stock key.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking if you install the key in one way it advances the timing by offsetting the flywheel and if you reverse the key and install the key the opposite way it will offset the flywheel the other way retarding the timing. Is this correct? Slim

Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Correct Slim.

Keep in mind half the thread is about cam timing, the other ignition (flywheel) timing.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
The Sparks key will not retard timing.....1 side is offset and the other is FLAT....just like the stock key.
If the key is put in backwards the flat side will stop the flywheel where the stock key does since the offset is on the other side of the key. Look at the sparks key as a stock key with a notch cut into it on the right side only (left side flat)....turn it around and you are back too the stock position of the key since there is no offset.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the key is in the advanced postition is there any gap in between it and the flywheel?

Just trying to get a mental picture. I think I understand, but...

Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

----_
! ---!
------

If you can imagine the above as being the timing key in the correct "advanced" position........the flywheel turns further counterclockwise...effectively advancing the timing. Turn it around and you are back too the stock timing. Hope this helps.

Edit....I had too add 3 dash marks between the exclamation marks for them too show up correct.

Quick Reply: Advance-Retard Timing /w Stage 1 HC on Rap?