Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a quad for the girlfriend but not sure what to get

blaster and warrior's are weak.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would strongly suggest the Z400, not only because I have one its just easy to ride and shift. My wife has never rode a bike or quad until she rode a friends Z400 and liked it alot. My daughter and her shared it for about 6 months or so and then my daughter was not getting used to the bike but instead I purchased another Suzuki and it was the z250 and it fits her perfect.

JMO - I would go out and test ride one of each and see which one she likes best. She is the one that will be riding it so I would let her ride before you buy.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

well

is she entirely new to the sport?

if so

you may want to get her a bike that is a little more forgiving than a Z400. (you dont want to scare her away or hurt her) An automatic polaris,,,(you will never have to look back) is a fairly safe/stable ride.

tell us more of the specifics on her experience w/riding

Old 10-08-2003, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

she has spent about 2 hours on a 500 scrambler. She doesnt like it because its too heavy and tall. She liked how my yfz is a manual just thought it had way too much power for her. The 700 is way out of her league because of its size. She has probably rode a total of about 4 hours in her life. She has never climbed a hill and she got pretty scared when i took her up one on the back of mine. I dont want to scare her away so i need to be sure that the quad wont intimidate her. But then again i dont want her to get comfortable on something small and want a bigger quad 2 months later.

Thanks for your time.
Steven

Old 10-08-2003, 02:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

steve

just give her another 20 hours on the scram 500 (crying or not) and she'll be able to tell you exactly what she wants

Old 10-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

400ex for sure!! they are good quads and really cheap used right now!!

Old 10-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Im entirely new to quads and last week bought myself a 2003 Blaster. As a first quad I feel its ideal as its not too powerful and is ideal for learning. However I dont see the Blaster as being a long term bike as after a week or so of ownership I would like something with a bit more power, probably in around 3-4months time (infact the previous owner of my Blaster only kept it 4-weeks before trading it in for a Banshee).

Old 10-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

If she's going to be doing any steep hills the Warrior is great for that. It's got lots of low end, and due to it's length and heavier front end it's less prone to tipping. It's narrower though than a 400ex, so sidelining a hill wouldn't be as easy. The ex only has about 3mph top speed advantange on the warrior, but it's quicker and has better suspension. The warrior has a great reverse which comes in handy for trail riding some times. Not a bad bike all around and you can't kill the ba$tards!!

Old 10-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

I just went through this with my wife. She had only ridden a Polaris Trail boss and hated it due to weight and height. My cousin bought his wife a Warrior I bought my wife a Z. My cousin's wife wanted a Z within two weeks. I think if your wife has enough "common sense" to take it easy while she is learning she will be WAY happier with the Z in the long run. Ow and as for the 400ex let me ask you this.... Are you really wanting to get off your quad and help her push it in reverse every time she gets in a pickle? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

We need something that will climb all the hills but at the same time not kill her.
"Kill her"? How do you figure? My wife had never riden a quad in her life and she owns a YFZ and does perfectly on it. It's got power, it's light, stable, etc. The perfect machine for a wife/girlfriend who's going to be riding in the sand.

Think about it...

I'd rather have my wife on machine that can get up a hill, if she want too rather than her wanting/trying to go up a hill on a machine that can't. Let's see which machine "kills" her then. Everyone barked the same @ me when they found out I was getting the YFZ for her. I don't know that there's a better machine for what she does - and she just cruises. My wife isn't like us guys... wringing the throttle for all it's got. I'd have her get the YFZ and never look back.

Who's buying it? If you are, stop being so damn cheap and get it. If it's her, refer to the last sentence in the above paragraph.

selector

Quick Reply: Need a quad for the girlfriend but not sure what to get