Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!

Well for all of the skeptics that said it couldn't be done...
For those of you who don't know the article is posted in this months dirtwheels magazine. To basically recap they took a YZ450 dirtbike and pited it against a YZF450 on a MX track and woods course and for the first time ever a stock ATV with a 7 time world national champion actually beat a stock top of the line dirtbike (YZ450) on an MX course by several seconds. These are good times indeed for ATV enthusiasts. This could be the new turning point in the ATV sport industry to gain better attention from the marketing industry and media nation wide. It's vary simple, the better times and faster speeds gain more attention in any sport. This could well be the turning point of the entire off road industry and a gradual shift off the mainstream emphasis on dirtbikes to ATV's. I'm not saying that dirtbikes will not still have there place as often shown in freestyle. But at least now the YZF450 and with the new Honda 450 we probably will stop losing our best riders to our often condescending cousins in the dirtbike industry. What I think we need now is a major industry to back our sport as does the AMA completely umbrella the Supercross, Motocross, and Supermoto. Dirtbikers move on over!

Old 10-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

yeah but read it again. They took out all the parts of the track that the dirt bike excells in to make it a fair race.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

lol....i read a comparison between those two, in Dirtbike magazine....here is a quote....

this is on a cross country loop. and the bike wins.
...once again, size or seve stopwatches went off. All of them showed the same thing. The quad turned a 4:29.44. The bike's time was 4:25.79.

and the yfz beat the yz450f, was 3 seconds slower when he kept both wheels on the ground over the doubles...when he jumped em, he put a lap of 2:15.78, was his fastest, the quads fastest was 2:22.09...

Old 10-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevendsm95gst
yeah but read it again. They took out all the parts of the track that the dirt bike excells in to make it a fair race.
I don't think that was correct, from what I remember reading they were saying the ATV had a disadvantage on the MX course because the track was better suited for the dirtbike. They were complaining about an offcambered jump and the ATV still beat the dirtbike around the MX course. They were also commenting that the if the double had been more level the gap between the two would have been even wider. The ATV's traction and high corner speed was unmatched by the dirtbike, and even though the dirtbike when hooked up could slightly out excel the ATV when in the corners the ATV outturned the dirtbike easily and made up the time. I would love to see a side by side time comparison. I'm sure many more tests will come shortly.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Tekky
lol....i read a comparison between those two, in Dirtbike magazine....here is a quote....

this is on a cross country loop. and the bike wins.
...once again, size or seve stopwatches went off. All of them showed the same thing. The quad turned a 4:29.44. The bike's time was 4:25.79.

and the yfz beat the yz450f, was 3 seconds slower when he kept both wheels on the ground over the doubles...when he jumped em, he put a lap of 2:15.78, was his fastest, the quads fastest was 2:22.09...
I'm not suprised that dirtbike magazine actually was biased towards there sport.. are you?
This reminds me so much of the time when I was asking our local shop Dryer Honda/Yamaha out of Indy as to why they seem to only play dirtbike videos on there showroom floor and merchandise dept. When I asked the guy behind the counter a few local dirtbike guys waiting just snickered as if to say "Give me a break as if ATV's are even remotely close in performance or Xtreme as dirtbikes."

Typical!

Old 10-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

no they took out the whoops and they wouldnt let the dirtbike take the jumps how a dirtbike normally would.

Old 10-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

It was all in the track and it's layout. It was a setup for quad to win. Its a Yamaha Mag (DirtyWheels) which is a quad mag so quad wins. rotflmao

Old 10-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pleasure4qt
It was all in the track and it's layout. It was a setup for quad to win. Its a Yamaha Mag (DirtyWheels) which is a quad mag so quad wins. rotflmao
OK yeah whatever...
And I bet you were there to verify this as well. I'm a little confused here, are you supporting ATV's here in this forum or are you just in denial and shocked by the outcome of this event. IT is clear that the quad had the quickest time on that MX course. Now its up to you to provide evidence to clearly deny there substantiated claim.

They simply ran a test the ATV was the quickest. Are you trying to say that its impossible for a YZF450 to be quicker than a YZ450 dirtbike on a closed professional MX course? I would bet the 7 time national champion that actually did the test and is currently riding professional Motocross would disagree with you.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevendsm95gst
no they took out the whoops and they wouldnt let the dirtbike take the jumps how a dirtbike normally would.
Where are you pulling this from?

Old 10-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cctman
Originally posted by: pleasure4qt
OK yeah whatever...
And I bet you were there to verify this as well. I'm a little confused here, are you supporting ATV's here in this forum or are you just in denial and shocked by the outcome of this event. IT is clear that the quad had the quickest time on that MX course. Now its up to you to provide evidence to clearly deny there substantiated claim.

They simply ran a test the ATV was the quickest. Are you trying to say that its impossible for a YZF450 to be quicker than a YZ450 dirtbike on a closed professional MX course? I would bet the<u> 7 time national champion</u> that actually did the test and is currently riding professional Motocross would disagree with you.
OK so u gut a 7 time national champ on a quad who was riding the dirtbike?

Quick Reply: MX YZF450 takes YZ450 Dirtbike: Historical!