Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need instructions on Warrior oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need instructions on Warrior oil cooler install

Hey guys, I am going to install my own oil cooler (instead of buying a kit). I plan to use an auto tranny cooler and fabricate my own plumbing. What I need help with is what to do on the clutch cover. I know I need to drill and tap two holes. I've also heard that I need to JB Weld shut an oil passage somewhere. This makes sense, as you need to route the oil through the cooler. Does anyone have any instructions or pictures that will let me know what I'm doing before I start tearing into the motor?

Thanks in advance!

Colby

Old 10-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Range Rover

Bump

Old 10-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I'll give you a bump. I wouldn't mind hearing some more insight on this too. I have some info but it never hurts to get some more hints.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Where abouts do you live in Greenfield Colby? I work in hope about 30 minutes south of you on State Rd. 9. But I live just outside of Columbus.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

on the inside of the cover theres a little hole that shoots oil into the crank. Get a bit that matches that and drill through it and out the otherside of the cover to make a pilot hole, then make the hole bigger on the outside of the cover. Next follow the galley down a bit and put another hole from the outside in stopping so you tap into the galley but dont go straight through it. Then you have to fill in the part of the galley between your two holes with the epoxy or whatever so the oil bypasses that little stretch and goes through your oil cooler then comes back and squirts into the crank. Thats the general idea of it. I cant remeber any of the numbers or messurments anything, youll have to figure that out on your own or keep asking.

If you wait a while ill get off my lazy **** and go take a picture of my clucth cover.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

Well it's been a while, but a couple of years ago my brother put an oil cooler on his warrior. It is a lot easier then drilling and tapping into the clutch cover. What he did was I think on a wolverine (but I don't remember for sure, it was some yamaha quad) they basically have the same engine as a warrior, except they come from the factory with an oil cooler. The cover for the oil filter on that quad has a cap that circulates the oil through and oil cooler. So he bought that cover and everthing, then hooked hoses up to it and ran it to the radiator.

It worked really well and looks prettly good to because the cap for the oil filter is a factory part. It is also designed to direct the flow of the oil too between the cooler and the filter. The only bad thing was by the time he got done with the final product it cost him like $300. Hopefully this helps.

By the way he sold his warrior and kept the oil cooler so I imagine he would sell it to you if you want to buy it.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the info so far everyone, keep it coming! Pics would be worth a thousand words!
I was aware of the Big Bear oil filter cover swap. Problem is every ATV salvage yard I've contacted won't sell just the cover; they don't want to part out the motor. Buying it new, like you said, would get very expensive. If he wants to sell his setup cheap, I may be interested, but I can build my own for next to nothing and I'm trying to keep this project as affordable as possible.

Colby

Old 10-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Here it is. Not a whole lot to learn from the picture though. I got an AC bumper and my cooler sits behind it like a radiator in a car. Picture will take a min to load if your 56k, figured id leave it at full size/detail so you can get a better look. Picure