Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New school quads versus old school? What's better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New school quads versus old school? What's better?

banshee's are reffered to as being old school because the only thing that has been changed on them was the j-arm to a-arm front suspension in I think 1989. also I agree with everything beefsmurf said.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

old school, things might be changing to 4 stroke now, but people will get sick of riding something boring, then the 2 strokes will take over again. everytime a new 4 stroke is unveiled, more and more performance upgrades are invented for 2 strokes. nothing will ever replace the speed, power, rush or whatever of a 2 stroke especially a modded BANSHEE. I love my 250R to death and will never get rid of it.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

Someone in here said about the reliability issue and everyone ragging on 2 strokes for being unreliable. Well its just my 2 cents that the owners of said unreliable 2 strokes are unreliable because properly maintained these quads are fine and dont need reringed or a new topend every other day. ( I mean you cant run your fuel at 50 to 1 either) Now dont get me wrong i want a new 450 but that doesnt mean i hate 2 strokes i think they are great. i purchased an 87 quadracer and took it for a day of beating in the mountains to see what it needed and 2 c just how well it would hold up. the bike is 17 years old and was ridden quite a bit from the looks of it when i got it and it only had a .20 bore on it. the thing ran great, even though it was obviously neglected a bit. once the powervalve was adjusted it ran 1000 times better. the guy said the bike had its first bore like 5 years ago or something but who knows with stuff you buy used. Now i know if i was going to keep my lt i would have to have my friend re-weld the entire frame to strengthen it up just because some of the factory welds are scary bad but just about all of us that own quads can work on them ourselves and have a friend or 2 thats happy to do something like that for ya so i dont even consider that a reliability issue as much as a the factory guys were stoned when they welded these things together issue. As far as technology goes things are getting better but if im not mistaken the swingarm setup on my racer is 8 trillion times better than the one on some of the yamaha line. not sure but i think that crazy *** yami setup is on the warrior, blaster, banshee, and maybe raptor. god forbid you get a loose chain oout in the middle of nowhere. Wow im rambling, i guess the whole point of this is this statement " A QUAD IS ONLY AS UNRELIABLE AS ITS OWNER"

Old 06-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Old school is where it's at. More potential than any new quad will ever have.
I like the 250R because of it's handling and how low it is, and no one could ever be cramped on one....a beautiful design.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

2 stroke for me.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I look at it about like cars or trucks. Yeah old school is cool & all. The Tecate-4 is the coolest quad ever IMO. But to ride everyday, give me a big comfy DS or the like. Still powerful but nice too. Like comparing a stripped down 440 Roadrunner to a Viper with power windows cruise tilt air, etc. Sure the old school has aura, but to have the same power or more AND the extras. Well count me in.